Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDs VS catted Y with no catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TDs VS catted Y with no catback

Well, after a battle with my crappy borlamouth on the side of I-81 I had to drive back to the garage with just my catted Y.

I WAS thinking about some true duals, but if it sounds anything like the TSP catted Y under the car then i might have to do some re thinking.

To say the least, it sounded like i was a 2speed rearend away from being a dump truck. There was nothing cool about it. Please tell me that TDs sound much more refined and smooth than an open Y pipe.

Oh also, if you have a Hot cam laying around i want it.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why in the world would true duals sound anything like an open catted Y? The true duals will have an X-Pipe which will increase torque and make nice tone. Plus you will have 2 mufflers which will also decrease the sound level and add a nice tone. Running through an open Y pipe sounds like *** as you found out.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

now I`ll tell you something I would do if performance exhaust was allowed here .....

x pipe and dual exhaust but not bullets .... regular 14 inch muflers and try the many options on the market (hooker,dynomax,edelbrock,summit,flowtech,cherry bomb ....) TD`s or pipes to the back ...

cheap mufflers and only a cut and weld job $37 or less here for the exhaust shop to swap mufflers .... mufflers are $15 to $90 each? of course mufflers prices are in the US more here and tickets tickets tickets
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

True duals out the back sound awesome. I had a dual dumped system and it was OK with a stock engine, but now that I have a cam I had to get a new out the back system because it was too loud with the cam.

My out the back system is the best sounding system IMO, I love it and would never switch to a y-pipe. It sounds nice and tame with a nice rumble at idle and it is tame enough for normal driving, yet once I get on it it screams.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

TDs sound NOTHING like a open Y. TD sound a ton better. Much cleaner, and deeper.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good. People were coming to the end of their driveways as i drove home thinking that their load of mulch or stone was about to pull up. You need a CDL to drive an open y pipe car.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Good. People were coming to the end of their driveways as i drove home thinking that their load of mulch or stone was about to pull up. You need a CDL to drive an open y pipe car.
i totally agree...except for me, people come to the end of their driveways to bitch about my car bein way too loud. Im orderin TD's as soon as i sell this loudmouth