Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers Headers Headers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pacesetters
Old 03-25-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

QTP. if i could do mine over i would go QTP w/high velocity merge collectors
Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
I got QTPs from a local seller for $325!! BRAND NEW! I started the install and came to a snag in the drivers side header. Figured if the drivers side would be this hard, the pass side mist be harder so i gave it to a shop to do! $600 later, and all my friend's respect for not being able to do it, I have LTs, wouldn't mind getting my $600 back at least.
Any more info. on this would be great.
boy, you bent over pretty far for that install. sounds like they didnt use lube either......
Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Do some searching dude. SLPs hang down LOW as ****. If you are lowered, forget about them. You'll scrape them over everything. I recommend Kooks if you are staying with a Y-pipe setup and if you are going true duals, get QTPs.
i agree with him 100%.

QTP's are, IMO, a better choice for headers as they have the velocity spike in the merge collector, making for IMO the best header for power gains. if you go TD's, they're the way to go. they're also the only equal-length header for the f-body and are cheaper than kooks.

however, QTP's y-pipe is pretty poorly designed. it hangs very low, fits poorly and the merge isn't too nice. the kooks y-pipe is an excellent piece. people have actually gained clearance over stock with them, and it is all stainless steel unlike QTP's aluminized y-pipe. the kooks y-pipe is hands down the best mass produced y-pipe for the f-body.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

When you spend $1100 plus for headers and y, they had better fit perfect IMHO.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i agree with him 100%.

QTP's are, IMO, a better choice for headers as they have the velocity spike in the merge collector, making for IMO the best header for power gains. if you go TD's, they're the way to go. they're also the only equal-length header for the f-body and are cheaper than kooks.

however, QTP's y-pipe is pretty poorly designed. it hangs very low, fits poorly and the merge isn't too nice. the kooks y-pipe is an excellent piece. people have actually gained clearance over stock with them, and it is all stainless steel unlike QTP's aluminized y-pipe. the kooks y-pipe is hands down the best mass produced y-pipe for the f-body.
The QTP Y pipe is not poorly designed. The merge is the best out there. Uses the flowmaster merge. The problem is the y pipe is not something that can not be installed on your back. Mine was done on a lift and has excellent clearnance. Just wanted to point that out to you. This is first hand experience. But you are right about the headers. Nothing else compares to it power.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

don't mean to high jack your thread....but when looking at headers, do I need to worry about o2s and all that stuff or can I just get the race style headers and ory? BTW - i think I am going with pacesetters.

Eric
Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00silverGTP
don't mean to high jack your thread....but when looking at headers, do I need to worry about o2s and all that stuff or can I just get the race style headers and ory? BTW - i think I am going with pacesetters.

Eric
Well, you ought to do a little research, there is a lot of info here that will help you decide. To answer your question, you can ditch the EGR and AIR systems as well as the cats and rear O2s if you'd like, but you would need to get them tuned out then, otherwise your SES light will come on and stay on. A lot rides on how oppressive they are with emissions where you live, and your tolerance to that.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

I would guess kooks are equal length too, right?

Can't go wrong with Kooks or QTP. They will dyno about the same.

Pacesetters are great if you are on a budget. But Stainless is nice!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

I have QTP 1 3/4 headers and there 3 inch catted y. I gained a lot of power from them had no fitment issues with the headers. The y pipe however is something that i had to spend a lot of time with to get ok ground clearance and my car is not lowered. Their Y pipe is good there merge collector is the main reason why i say that but they could definetly have a better over all design cause it took me many tries and a lot of cutting and fitting followed by takening it appart and putting it back together before i got it right. They sound damn good going threw my magnaflow catback. However, after 2 weeks on the car the insides of the cats blew clean out of my exhaust during a street race. didnt cause any problems just sounds better now.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Launching!

It is damn hard to beat the quality of Kooks customer service. I had a small issue with my headers, called them up, instantly had a shipping tag faxed to me to ship my headers to them. You know they mean business when the owner will call you up to ensure things are going ok. That is worth the cost alone IMO. The quality can't be surpassed either.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
boy, you bent over pretty far for that install. sounds like they didnt use lube either......
Sad part, he did me a favor. $95/ hour labor. 15 hours. He cut me a deal.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redlinez
When you spend $1100 plus for headers and y, they had better fit perfect IMHO.
I agree.....I went with QTP's after much research and the driver's side was a PITA to install. But still, they are a beautiful product.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

well im gonna go with a true dual from tsp and no cats and i hear the qtp's are the best for this setup true?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that people have recommended the QTPs as best for true duals because the QTP y-pipe is not as good as the Kooks... I think either way is a good bet, but there was some kind of an issue with the driver's side header on QTPs, so you might want to check that out.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Order 66
The QTP Y pipe is not poorly designed. The merge is the best out there. Uses the flowmaster merge. The problem is the y pipe is not something that can not be installed on your back. Mine was done on a lift and has excellent clearnance. Just wanted to point that out to you. This is first hand experience. But you are right about the headers. Nothing else compares to it power.
the QTP y-pipe is regarded as the worst-fitting y-pipe out there. many people have problems with it and, according to what people consistently posted, it scrapes on practically anything. everyone should agree it's nowhere near the quality of a kooks y-pipe, and the fact that QTP makes such nice stainless headers, then makes a ridiculously overpriced ALUMINIZED y-pipe is crazy. this, to me, is poorly designed.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

^^^So the question is, will the KooKs y-pipe fit on QTP headers?? If they do, all problems solved!!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Ebay" headers... stainless LTs and stainless Y, both polished. My Dad is about to be a sponsor and sell the kit. You cant beat the deal. Its not much more than the cost of a stainless Y alone!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

There's a recent post where someone modified a Kooks Y-pipe to fit QTPs and it looked pretty good.

I was not happy with the fitment of my QTP Y-pipe, but that was a direct result of my SLP SFCs. However, since I lost the driver's side cat', and had to replace it, I modified that side of the Y-pipe with one 180* U-bent from Summit and all is well. I have just about as much clearance with this set-up as there is under the long tubes themselves. I didn't want a flattened 3-inch Y-pipe and I wanted a merge collector, so I went with QTP. I like the set-up now except for the fact it's not stainless like the rest of my exhaust but I don't live in a harsh enviornment, so no big deal.

Good luck either way.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd have to say Pacesetter for bang/buck option. Also Pacesetters are so easy to install unlike SLP...theyre a freakin headache to install, plus I think SLP headers are overrated, overpriced, poorly designed and hang too low.