Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainlesworks Chambered catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainlesworks Chambered catback

It looks like its similar to the GMMG, but is supposed to have less or no drone. I was wondering if any one has any knowledge about this catback? I had a Loud Mouth and between the drone and sounding like your doing 100mph at any speed almost drove me crazy. I just want to make sure im not getting myself in a similar situation.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this exhaust system. I purchased it about a year ago when Stainless Works was having a 50% off sale. It's design appeared similiar to GMMG's so I thought... WTF. In retrospect, I think I'd go with a different system.

The quality of the parts is good and the 3" clamps they provide are good as well. It's just that the damn thing comes in so many parts, it's hard to get a proper fit and alignment. Plus, the exhaust hangers they use are held in place with 3" clamps. The tips slip over the chambered pipes and had such a loose fit, we couldn't get the clamps tight enough to keep them on. We ended up having to weld them to keep them from falling off.

After we had the system pieced together, we couldn't get the tips to align in the openings properly (I have a WS6). We could get one tip centered in the opening fine, but the other would be pointing in some odd direction. It had to do with the "Y" type pipe directly after the axle. It didn't seem to be angled properly that would allow both tips to exit correctly. We spent hours on trying to align the tips. The only solution that allowed each tip to look as though they exited the same, was to angle each tip down so that they hung below the bumper (there was a good 4" gap between the top of the tip and the opening). They looked stupid and if you stood at the side of the car (a few paces back) you could easily see the chambered pipe hanging below the car.

We also had a problem with the chambered I-pipe. It kept smacking against the floor board toward the rear of the car (under the rear passenger seat). The pipe over the axle rubbed as well.

I eventually ended up taking it to a custom exhaust shop and had them align it, fix the hangers, add a wedge here and there and weld it all together. It looks great now, but the frustration wasn't worth it.

As far as the sound goes... it's not as raspy as a GMMG. It still has a nice deep tone to it and will definately get attention. At least I like that part of it. There's no drone that I've noticed. I have headers and a catted Y-pipe going on in a few weeks and suspect it'll sound even better.

So, in closing... had I spent full price and had to dick with everything I did... I'd be pissed. But, I spent 50% on the system and couple hundred getting it aligned properly. I still ended up paying less than the system costs at full price.

As with most things LS1 related... YMMV.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 03-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I guess I should probably go with my second choice, which is the Magnaflow with the quad tips.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Any body else
Old 05-26-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

SLP D/D. 'Nough said.