Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Or Qtp???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks Or Qtp???

im planning on buying some headers in the near future, and i would like some input on what, i know im getting 1 3/4" but other wise............?

1.people like more
2.which makes more power for a modified but not heavily modified camaro ss
3.better clearance
4.easier install
5.what ORY to go with it.

THANKS ALL
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

qtp ftw
Old 04-15-2007, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

I personally went with Kooks!! you cant go wrong with QTP, or Kooks, QTP will make allitle more power because of the HVMC but the real gains come from a verry modified engine!! but i would stay away from the QTP Y pipe alot of people have problems with them
Old 04-15-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

both are very nice I have seen both.

if its kooks verse the older qtp's with out the high velocity merge collector, id say they are even. now with the lower price of qtp's polished and with HVMC's id go with qtp's.

you really cant go wrong with either however qtp's right now are 700 shipped from summit.

now i have experience installing kooks only, and their catted y-pipe and ory fit really nice, I have heard not the same results for the qtp y-pipes. this was on an lt1 just to let you know.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Qtp Ftw
Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell you what I read in another thread which makes perfect sense as this question has been beaten to death, which even myself has taking part in the beating:

If you plan on running either set up:
True Duals = Get QTP's
Any Y-Pipe = Get KOOKS

Thats about as good as it gets I think. Im running a catted y so Kooks was my choice as great fitment and proven quality was a factor as well as a totally stainless set up. Some prefer QTP but their Y-pipes have been known to have fitment issuse and lack of ground clearence and they are aluminized. In the end, its your choice and your money but thats my .02. Hope this helps ya.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt let y-pipe decision hinder what headers to get.

you can always get a custom y-pipe made to fit perfectly especially if you use oval tubing.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Qtp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

I have QTP, but install was impossible... ended up taking it to a shop where they lifted the motor, QTP supposedly fixed that problem... they matched up to TSP's catted Y, so I'd go with some QTP LTs with a TSP ORY if I were you.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It hasnt been said yet... but most of the responses you will get in this thread are from the people who own the same type of header they voted for. My $.02

W/ that said... Right before I ordered some QTPs, I made a thread asking the same question and 90% of the people told me Kooks. I called Thunder Racing and some other places and asked them which they would prefer and they all said Kooks as well simply b/c they fit better than QTPs.

I have seen/heard of no advantage QTPs have over Kooks. They are essentially the same header, but Kooks comes w/ a better/higher clearance Y-pipe.

I have kooks, but I choose not to vote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kooks have great fitment and quality. +1 for Kooks. And....

Old 04-15-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

I have qtp headers and y pipe and love em. The fitment onthe headers was trouble free and fit nice the y pipe was not so easy to install. took me many tries and some cutting/welding to get it to tuck up and not bang the floor board. kooks are really god headers as well and have better fitment from what i have read.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Kooks...there is no better header.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

I have QTP's on my car. They perform as advertised BUT Im not gonna lie they were a bitch to put on. As far as y-pipe clearance issues, I went the other way and got duals put on. So far so good.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Tech Resident

QTP hands down. they look better, make more power and COST LESS. i used to vote for kooks because they have a vastly superior y-pipe, but now that we have confirmation that the kooks catted y-pipe fits QTP headers with very little modification, i see no reason to go with kooks over QTP.

i'm not saying kooks doesn't make a quality product. they make some very nice things. however, when you compare them head to head, QTP delivers more for your money.
Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
I have seen/heard of no advantage QTPs have over Kooks. They are essentially the same header, but Kooks comes w/ a better/higher clearance Y-pipe.
dude...QTP's look better, perform better and are less money. kooks were more popular than QTP's back in the day of standard merge collectors. however, now that QTP upped their quality and are producing a better header while kooks stayed the same, QTP definitely has the advantage. kooks have plenty of issues as well, as do all headers since no car is exactly the same and some will be easier to install headers on than others due to minor clearance differences. there's been a lot of complaints of the kooks y-pipe tucking up so high, there are bad exhaust rattles and vibrations. no product is perfect. all we can do is compare horsepower per dollar and longevity, and since both are stainless and will last practically forever, QTP wins hands down in the horsepower per dollar category.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-15-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
QTP hands down. they look better, make more power and COST LESS. i used to vote for kooks because they have a vastly superior y-pipe, but now that we have confirmation that the kooks catted y-pipe fits QTP headers with very little modification, i see no reason to go with kooks over QTP.

i'm not saying kooks doesn't make a quality product. they make some very nice things. however, when you compare them head to head, QTP delivers more for your money.

dude...QTP's look better, perform better and are less money. kooks were more popular than QTP's back in the day of standard merge collectors. however, now that QTP upped their quality and are producing a better header while kooks stayed the same, QTP definitely has the advantage. kooks have plenty of issues as well, as do all headers since no car is exactly the same and some will be easier to install headers on than others due to minor clearance differences. there's been a lot of complaints of the kooks y-pipe tucking up so high, there are bad exhaust rattles and vibrations. no product is perfect. all we can do is compare horsepower per dollar and longevity, and since both are stainless and will last practically forever, QTP wins hands down in the horsepower per dollar category.
"dude", your QTPs have apparently sprung a leak.

Prove to me that QTPs perform better. please..

And IIRC, they are both made w/ High quality 304 Stainless Steel, so saying one is made of higher quality than the other is another BS.

If QTPs had better quality, they wouldnt need Kooks to help complete the job Think about it.

Oh... and as far as "looks better" goes... I see nothing wrong w/ these Kooks. If you do, please point out the flaws

Last edited by DANSBIRD; 04-15-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Sence they Both Net out the Same HP.. I go with QTP for the Bling Factorand are around $100 cheaper Right Now... & Go with the Kooks Ypipe.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

In short, go w/ QTP if you want to save $100.
Spend a little more if you dont want to have to modify anything to get the ypipe on.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Tech Resident

"dude", your QTPs have apparently sprung a leak.
i don't know what this means?

Prove to me that QTPs perform better. please..
they have a better merge collector designed to increase exhaust gas velocity. kooks does not. what more is there to explain?

And IIRC, they are both made w/ High quality 304 Stainless Steel, so saying one is made of higher quality than the other is another BS.
the materials themselves are the same quality. but you get QTP's for less money. so you're pretty much agreeing with me that when you buy kooks, you pay more for the same quality.

If QTPs had better quality, they wouldnt need Kooks to help complete the job Think about it.
that's their y-pipe. that has nothing to do with their headers. QTP's y-pipe isn't stainless steel and hangs too low. the actual merge in QTP's y-pipe is vastly superior to the kooks merge, if you want to compare y-pipes directly. however, y-pipes have no influence on the quality of the headers up for debate, and since the y-pipes are interchangeable, that makes this a complete non-issue.

and as for your headers, you polished them. you know darn well kooks look pretty ugly right out of the box. they're probably the ugliest header on the market aside from the painted el cheap-o headers out there, although the looks of headers really aren't much of an issue. it's just something else that slightly tilts the scales in QTP's favor.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

they have a better merge collector designed to increase exhaust gas velocity. kooks does not. what more is there to explain?
:think: Who says its a better merge collector and where is the evidence that it does infact help? The power gain is the same w/ both headers.

the materials themselves are the same quality. but you get QTP's for less money. so you're pretty much agreeing with me that when you buy kooks, you pay more for the same quality.
But you said that QTP was made of higher quality... HMmm.... No, i'm arguing w/ you that w/ the kooks you get something besides high quality. They are arguably the best fitting headers on the market. They tuck in better than QTP.

that's their y-pipe. that has nothing to do with their headers. QTP's y-pipe isn't stainless steel and hangs too low. the actual merge in QTP's y-pipe is vastly superior to the kooks merge, if you want to compare y-pipes directly. however, y-pipes have no influence on the quality of the headers up for debate, and since the y-pipes are interchangeable, that makes this a complete non-issue.
When buying a system, Id rather buy the whole system from 1 company instead of piecing it together. But hey, thats just me.

and as for your headers, you polished them. you know darn well kooks look pretty ugly right out of the box. they're probably the ugliest header on the market aside from the painted el cheap-o headers out there, although the looks of headers really aren't much of an issue. it's just something else that slightly tilts the scales in QTP's favor.
They arent my headers. And reguardless, the difference in looks is quite minimal, if any. If i was worried about expense and shine, i would have bought a set of pacesetters and been done w/ it.