Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan Circuit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Circuit Questions

Okay, i am checking my cooling fans out to see why they aren't coming on like they should be..... I think.

I have a 98 TA. My temp gauge was reading on the mark before the 210 mark. Shut car off......went back....started driving....noticed the temp goign higher....getting closer to the 200 area.....by now....i am speeding up to try and get some air moving on the motor.....i stop.....get out to check the fans....they aren't on!! I got home with it about on the same mark before 210......shut the car off. I turn teh key back on...didn't start the car....jsut on.....andx the fans didn't come on!! i would have to assume they shoudl have.

So, i started looking at my haynes manual on this. And it said to check the relays....did that....they checked good. Then it said to check the relay sockets for power. constant and with the key on.

Here is what i got.

This is with the key off: #87 should have constant power.

Relay #1 #87 & #86 powered

Relay #2 #86 & 30 powered......87 was not...shoudl have been though.

Relay #3 #85 powered.....87 was not...should have been though.

With key on: #86 should be powered now.

Relay #1 #87 & #86 powered

Relay #2 #86 & 30 powered

Relay #3 #85 powered.

This tells me i got a problem. Am i correct in thinking this?

My car has been recently acting up on me. I notice when i start driving from cold.....car runs great.....go on the highway...no problems. Now, if i drive around town....then get on the highway....it starts acting up. Usually around 60 mph.....let off gas....get back down to about 50...start to accelerate again....and car doesn't "kick-down" like it should to take off under accleration.....stays there and "sputters" and jerks the car. Until you put your foot down far enough...then i comes out of it.

I don't know whether this is my problem or not....but, it seems to me that my cooling system isn't working right. I am figuring if the car is hot....then of course it is going to act up....i may be thinking wrong though....

Could someone describe the cooling system setup to me......as far as what all the connections go to.......like from the PCm to the fuse block. I noticed the wiring coming out of the block goes into the firewall on the drivers side.....where does it go to after this??

Oh, by the way.....new here.....great site!!!
Old 03-15-2002, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cooling Fan Circuit Questions

I have a 01 car and I have noticed that with
the ac on the low speed fans are on by default.
If you dont have a thermostat you can expect
your car to be around 210F.. I have to manually
keep my fans running in most traffic situations
to maintain 190F.
Here is the pinout fot the 1998 pcm.. I bet
if you take pin 43 to ground it will make your
low speed fans come on
http://www.ls1info.com/1998/engine/pcmpin.html

Regards
Terry
http://ls1info.com
Old 03-15-2002, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Okay, so i need to run down the wiring to the relay sockets right?

I did check the AC thing. Guy at work told me to turn on the AC....the fans should turn on. They did. That at least tells me they are working.

But, what about the relay sockets? They don't seem to have power where they should. At least that is what i am thinking from what the Haynes book said.

Are the power points i am seeing wrong? And why is there 3 relays?
Old 03-16-2002, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is something that I found today that
has pics of the relays and some wires
that were used during that PEP-BOYS
temp switch install..

http://ls1info.com/article.php?sid=222
Old 03-16-2002, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info!

I may end up just doing this instead of trying to find my relay problem. Basically the way i understand the mod is: you can do this to get your fans to come on manually by temp instead of by the computer sending the signal...right? And with this mod...no switch to turn on....it is automatic to temp you set on purchased switch?

I guess i was really wanting someone to confirm my power point problem as well. Can anyone try doing the test i did....to see where you have constant power at...and key on power at.....for the fan relays.....jsut so i know if my setup is bad somewhere? This would really help me if someone coudl try this for me.

If you need direction on what i really need......let me know.....this would help tremendously!!!

Basically, using a voltmeter....ground to somewhere.....remove the fan relays....and start probing for power in each socket spot. Do this for all 3 realy sockets. Write down where you have power from each relay socket...and then do the same again.....with key on.

Thanks!!!