Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which longtubes have the most ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no i dont but you will see on the driver side where is gets really close and most people just get a hamer and hit the frame a little and make sure you will not have that problem! Just a little not much! One of my friends we did kooks on we has to use the hamer a good bit to keep it from banging!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's some pics of the Stainless Works headers installed. Great ground clearance...Trany pan and subframes are lower than the headers or y-pipe. When i was talking to stainless works before I purchased, they said the set up was designed to work with the eibach kit. dont remeber which kit, but all you have to do is shoot them an email or call, they have great customer service.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ilirw325
here's some pics of the Stainless Works headers installed. Great ground clearance...Trany pan and subframes are lower than the headers or y-pipe. When i was talking to stainless works before I purchased, they said the set up was designed to work with the eibach kit. dont remeber which kit, but all you have to do is shoot them an email or call, they have great customer service.

Those look great but over a grand? Thats out of my price range. Thanks though!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
Those look great but over a grand? Thats out of my price range. Thanks though!
for headers AND a stainless y-pipe? that's not that bad. as a point of reference, pacesetters give you headers and a catted y for $700. for a few hundred more, you can have a better made header that will likely yield better gains with better clearance that will last many, many times longer. doesn't sound bad to me, considering you'd have to buy pacesetters 10 times over before the stainless works kit goes bad.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

i like my pacesetters will never change. But think twice about the sportlines i have them and i F#$%*^(% hate the things. I am switching to strano's probably but they are on back order till july. I have true duals with an H pipe and they scrape like crazy.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone considered adding skid plates to protect the headers on speed bumps? Just weld a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate next to them hanging down just a tad lower. They will take the hit, not the headers.

Anyway, if you have a really low car can the Y pipe be made to not hang down lower than the K-member or trans crossmember? I'd like to tuck the new exhuast about 1" higher than the stock setup. I don't plan to run cats so that helps. Can this be done or would I need to modify the floor boards?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

My buddy has a 97 Z28 and put sportline springs on his car, he has pacesetter LT and Y Pipe, he hardly ever hits it on anything, its usually his cut-out that rubs on the speed bumps if he doesnt go slow, i also Eibach Sportlines on my car, and i dont hit either.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hate to repeat myself, but Jet Hots and Hookers both have flattened areas on the top of the Ypipe that allows them to be tucked up much higher tan most other headers.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

The exhaust shop I called about fabbing a stainless Y pipe laughed at the idea of $330. Said he couldn't begin to make one for that. When the driver side pipe is crushed to allow more clearance, it affects exhaust flow, so you have to keep that in mind.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I really hate to repeat myself, but Jet Hots and Hookers both have flattened areas on the top of the Ypipe that allows them to be tucked up much higher tan most other headers.
I have really been considering ordering some Jet Hot LT's with a matching catted y. Are they a good brand of header and midpipe? I was told they are somewhat in between the Pacesetter and Kooks in both price and quality. I reall want some Kooks, but cant afford. Sorry for the jack, just curious.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

i have hedman headers and they tuck up very nice, my car isn't lowered tho. my y pipe you can see if you get on the ground and look but you can't see the headers.

i live in a place with some big *** speed bumps and nothing hits
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jet Hots are 16 gauge tubing vs. 18 gauge in others. Flattening the tubing offers minimal restriction when there is only a single intermediate tube going all the way back to the muffler.