Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

false knock?? could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default false knock?? could this be?

if anyone knows much about the 3800...if you can help i'd appreciate it.i know the 3.8's are known to have a way oversensitive knock sensor, so...
i've come to realize over the last week what a billy-bob job this guy did when he put my cat back on. instead of the welded hangers, he used rubber. well, it's got about 6 or more inches either way of side to side movement, and 3 inches either way of up and down movement. and under throttle in neutral, it shakes HARD up to the Y pipe. the I pipe, off a Z28, is actually crimped from left turns with acceleration, has crushed the pipe on the torque arm..any time i hit a bump or anything like that, even at the track when i shift 1-2, it shakes and bumps and everything. i guess my question is, is with all the vibes and rattling...especially at the top of third gear, it runs out of steam, could i be getting some kind of false knock?
i understand as well, that teflon can be wrapped around the knock sensor to decrease sensitivity. is this true?
Old 05-04-2002, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: false knock?? could this be?

Yes that can give you false knock.