Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y pipe and catback

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default y pipe and catback

will a stock catback bolt up to a slp 3 inch y pipe. or is the stock cat back tubing too small? also its a 2001 z28.

thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3" to 2 3/4". I have done this, and to get by at first I cut slots about an inch apart on the cat back so I could bend them out a little and use a band clamp to mate the Y to it. Worked for a year will a little leak until I decided to do it right.
I went to ORielly's and ordered an exhaust adapter that was 3" on one end and 2 3/4 on the other for a perfect fit.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, let me try this again. I think I was wrong above. It has been 3 years since I installed my TSP ORY. I just got my TSP Catted Y in today, and had some discussion with TSP. The end of the TSP Y where it would connect to the I pipe is 2 1/2 ID, and just under 2 3/4 OD. So the stock I pipe should slide right over and clamp together to answer your question. This is apparently true for ORY and Catted Y. 3 years ago I must have cut off the last 5 inches of smaller tubing on the ORY to keep it 3" to my cutout, then I had the 3" to 2 3/4" reducer to get it to fit snug on the stock I.