Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Headers
Coated Pacesetters
66.67%
Ebay SS headers
33.33%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

which header?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gun4hire
I ordered them two weeks ago (not off ebay) and paid $350 shipped. Now the website I got them from said "headers only" - so imagine my surprise when I opened the box and found that I received the Y-pipe with em!
Now for that price they are worth every penny. Although have you installed them yet? I wouldn't be too happy until they were on the car trouble free. As was said in the past they have had their fitment issues. They may be unloading some older ones.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Board Certified Idiot

I keep Hearing this talk about "EBAY"??? I guess People are In the Dark that they no longer are up on Ebay But Yet a Sponser of this SITE "FYI"
Old 05-15-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSecretFormula
Now for that price they are worth every penny. Although have you installed them yet? I wouldn't be too happy until they were on the car trouble free. As was said in the past they have had their fitment issues. They may be unloading some older ones.
Having installed them, there were two issues.

1) the y-pipe - although it was 'flattened' slightly, it still rests against the floorboard. A section of radiator hose was cut and fit around the pipe and held with a band clamp - seems to keep it from vibrating. We will see how it holds up.

2) the holes in the flange where the driver's side header meets the head - if you put the front bolt in along with the others, the rear won't line up. If you put the rear bolt in along with the others, the front won't. It is close enough to get the bolt going in at an angle, but it's not perfect. When I do heads, I'll pull that header and elongate the hole enough so that it lines up perfect.

Seriously, for stainless longtubes - $350 WITH the Y-pipe. I don't know why people complain when the other stainless alternatives are 2 to 3 times the price and they STILL have issues.

Yeah, they are a sponsor now on this site - so we can talk about them - but they are charging more that I paid for them.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same delimma when I did headers.

Pacesetters or the XS longtubes.

At the time, the XS longtubes did NOT have a ypipe available. I then decided to make it easier on myself and go ahead and get the pacesetters with tsp ory pipe.

Although, my pacesetters rock! I'm going to have to go with the XS longtubes on this one. Can't beat stainless for pennies more!

Either way, you'll get a good set of headers.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Teching In

I am interested in these XS headers, but I need a catted Y-pipe.

Has anyone installed these headers with catted Ys? If so, what kind? How did the install go? Are you happy with the results?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by my01ws6
out of my price range
Save your money and buy U.S. made products. Trust me you'll be much better off in the long run. There's a reason why American Racing headers and other U.S. made systems cost more.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Can you still get them?

I would like to buy some now!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigArchidia
Save your money and buy U.S. made products. Trust me you'll be much better off in the long run. There's a reason why American Racing headers and other U.S. made systems cost more.
Pacesetters are made in the U.S.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigArchidia
There's a reason why American Racing headers and other U.S. made systems cost more.
Please elaborate. What IS the reason?

...and where are you getting your information on where the headers are produced?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maryland Speed<---sponsor
Has the Pace LT's that are JETHOT coated on the inside and outside. With a lifetime Warranty!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's just say they are made in China. What does that mean exactly? I'm willing to bet there is still an american company behind this even if they are using Chinese labor. Or maybe it's just the steel from China and they are made here. Is the steel inferior? Why is the price so much less then the other header companies? Have we been overcharged by others? Why is there all of a sudden talk that coated is better then stainless when I didn't see any of that going on before? Are there trolls from those other companies in this thread? [/unsolved mysteries]

I own a LS1 and a V6. I had the V6 first and I got coated pacesetters for them. They were the worst fitting headers ever. Almost everyone had to cut their y and get a small piece welded in to make it fit. Pacesetter didn't really care. And there were many many people with issues. So I don't really care to give them any more business. Yeah, an american company took care of me and everyone else well. So what's with all this made in america pride? Just because it's made here doesn't make it any good.

If you need any proof that we're getting ripped off by our great american companies just look up at the stickies.
1. Posting links to non-sponsor sales, ads, or websites.
2. Posting pricing, or pricing comparisons vs LS1TECH Sponsors.
3. Posting about availability, or soliciting Ebay headers.
4. Comparisons with LS1TECH sponsor sold headers.

Last edited by Dom; 05-17-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

Message to byunspeed from Cantalope Kid

This is the message:

2002 Chevy Camaro SS (LS1)

"Offroad" Pacesetter Headers

"Offroad" Pacesetter Y

Reply from byunspeed

72C2256 and 82-1163 listed on our website shipped, that is the guaranteed lowest price. Thanks.

Reply from Cantalope Kid

Didn't know if you were aware but a sponsor on LS1tech.com is selling 304 stainless steel headers and y pipe for $550 shipped in the group purchase section for (
www.not-a-sponsor.com). I know you can't price match since you don't carry these but I think you folks are fixing to lose a lot of money competing with them at these prices. Think about it, why would anyone buy these 2 items for a combined price of $500+ shipping cost when they can get a full stainless steel set for $550 including shipping cost? I don't agree with several pricing issues with sponsors or non-sponsors but somethings gotta give. Personally I think you getting undersold by a better product, but I also believe if this $550+shipping is achievable for that nice a product you are probably making out like a bandit on the pacesetters so no one is really winning anymore except for the people from www.not-a-sponsor.com .

Last edited by WILWAXU; 06-11-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have the "Ebay" XS headers. If they were still $299 I'd say go with them but now that they raised the price and come with the poor fitting Y pipe I'd say go with Pacesetter.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

pacesetters hands down.
good quality and fit
Old 05-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

both are junk in my opinion. get a used set flp's or kook u can find them for 600 bucks.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

I have Pace setters, and have not had one problem or complaint. I wouldnt buy anything from ebay(But that's me).

PAce setter over the Headers you listed above. Worth the money.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 PM
8 Second Club

flowtechs less than200 new ceramic coeated
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save the $100 and get the pacesetters. Everyone makes such a big deal about stainless headers. The ceramic coating will last years and keep underhood temps lower than uncoated stainless. Who gives a **** if your headers last 10 years? Have any of us owned a car that long? I have had both stainless and ceramic coated header and they have both held up just fine. $600 is too much for chinese made E-Bay clone headers. If they were $400 I would say jump on them.
the underhood temps is a moot point. stainless steel naturally retains heat a lot better than mild steel. this means it doesn't need to be coated to retain heat well. while coating will perform slightly better, it will have next to 0 effect on horsepower.

there really is no point to buying pacesetters with these headers around. while these headers are a step down from QTP's and ARH's since they lack a velocity spike/merge collectors, they are vastly superior in every way, shape and form to pacesetters. they're so superior to pacesetters, you'd be foolish to actually buy pacesetters nowadays.

it's been said before: these are NOT "ebay headers." they're not an ebay company. they're a new up-and-coming company that has little to no market share. in order to play with the big dogs like kooks, hooker and american racing - names that people know - they have to sell their headers at little to no profit in order to make a name for themselves. this is how businesses establish themselves in a flooded market - they have to nearly give their product away. in today's electronic world, the best way to reach people is by ebay since it requires no advertisement dollars, and it keeps their prices low since there is no middle man.

just because they sell their headers on ebay doesn't mean they're an ebay company. these are a good product and they've been proven time and time again. again, buying pacesetters with these around at this low price is, simply put, foolish.

get the stainless XS headers, but buy them from the SPONSOR selling them. that way, you get things like a reliable return policy.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Staging Lane

Save the $100 and get the pacesetters. Everyone makes such a big deal about stainless headers. The ceramic coating will last years and keep underhood temps lower than uncoated stainless. Who gives a **** if your headers last 10 years? Have any of us owned a car that long? I have had both stainless and ceramic coated header and they have both held up just fine. $600 is too much for chinese made E-Bay clone headers. If they were $400 I would say jump on them.

I guess I'm a big idiot for buying Kooks then. Damn, I hate being an idiot. . .
Old 09-21-2007, 09:24 AM
8 Second Club

I had Kooks and Pace setter... For they money, go Pace setter, but get some better bolts and gaskets.