Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

killing alternators

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default killing alternators

I've got an LS2 conversion with an LS1 F-body alternator; stock ignition. I've killed two alternators after running the engine up to redline. I'm pretty sure this is the reason because the first time happened after a dyno run and the second was after a dragstrip run. My redline is set at 6800 rpm and I don't know if the cause is from the high rpm or hitting the rev limiter; on each event the rev limiter was hit once.

The first time was with an 160 amp alternator and the second was a rebuilt 104 amp. I've run other LS1's up to 6k without having this problem, so what could be the issue?
Old 05-26-2007, 03:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will just say im having alternator issues also and these stock ls1 alts. are crap.....just something you have to deal with and step up to the next level....are you frying like the regulator or what?...
Old 05-26-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm guessing it's the regulator going bad. The 160 amp was from Mr. Alternator and the other was a remanufactured piece.

My Firehawk is still on it's stock alternator (over 30K miles) and I drove a C5 for 5 years without any problems. Did you do any electrical modifications to your car?

Can I change the regulators myslef? I'm in Germany now and it's a pain trying to get warranty work done.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive gone through three motors in my car, so im sure my stock alternator hasnt liked the change over and over again....

however when installed my headers the started wire got slightly close and melted through, after that stuff just hasnt been the same....i think the jolt killed my alt. and now ive just got a crappy rebuilt one.....ive killed two red top batteries in less then two months...so its a work in progress right now
Old 05-26-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ouch, good luck with your project. It looks like everything is wired correctly on mine, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Quick Reply: killing alternators