Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly is RASP and DRONE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What exactly is RASP and DRONE?

I dont know what these 2 words mean, but Ive heard them being used a lot in the LOUDMOUTH 1 exhaust system. Anybody got sound clips of rasp and drone? Im concerned because I already bought the resonator and now Im having second thoughts on having it installed on my 02 WS6. I still have the stock headers and y pipe with cats. So is it still gonna rasp and drone like people say they do on the LM1 if Im still at stock?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

hmmm how to explain rasp and drone lol....

RASP....kinda sounds like a blat blat pop gargle on de-excelleration.....almost like a 87 chevy truck with straight pipes and glass packs....its not like this all the time...just certain parts of the rpm range and from high rpm de-excelleration....some people like it..some hate it..

DRONE....imagine reving a loud exhaust car to 2000 rpms when it makes some of the interior vibrate and the change in the cupholder jingle....basically that on the highway (because the RPM you are at) and the decibles (bass sound) comming from the exhaust at a constant note....annoying and gives you a headache

all that said a loudmouth resonator on stock headers and Y is not going to be bad at all....infact i think the loudmouth sounds great on a mostly stock car....everyone has different opinions about the loudmouth with long tube headers...

you will be fine man dont regret your choice put it on and enjoy the sound it makes....if it isnt for you..sell it and try again
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^he pretty much nailed it.

rasp is a blatty, poppy, machine gun-like sound that occurs at certain rpms. rasp isn't found much with stock manifolds and cats, but the minute you take your cats off, if you use a y-pipe, your car will be producing rasp left and right.

drone is a resonance inside the car that is like a hum. it doesn't necessarily have to make things vibrate as vibration occurs when the frequency of the exhaust note matches the natural frequency of the car and makes everything shake, but that annoying hum inside of the car (usually the worst at around 1800 rpms) is drone.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

alright, thank you guys for the help. Im just gonna get it installed and hopefully I love it.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

1800 RPM's is basically the devils lullaby... i hate it so much. Rasp is very tolerable, sounds cool SOMETIMES other than that though its not too bad. But drone is horrible like chaco said 1800-2200 rpms for many people is horrible drone.

True duals tend to prevent rasp. My TD's have no rasp ever.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Drone is the one thing I do not miss about having longtubes and an ORY. If you have stock manifolds and cats you should be ok.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Launching!

How much does floor pan insulation padding and spray on coats (like lizard skin) help reduce the vibrations of drone? Is it just a little bit or is it a big difference?

Quick Reply: What exactly is RASP and DRONE?