Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem need some help!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem need some help!?!?

Well my 98 trans am gets real close to overheating and it is really beginning to concern me now. I just recenly put my air conditioning system back in and it has a leak so my freon is gone in a day causing that whole system to get hot even its little radiator mounted in front of mine...like you all know. Anyways, on the highway my temperature gauge reads upwards of 220+* but nothing is spuing out or boiling (YET). I have a switch in my car the SLP one that turns on both of the fans (i rigged it to turn on both...before it just turned on one), and a 160* thermostat. I tried running the car with cap off as i watched down in the radiator and the fluid is cycling around. So long story short....my fluid is cycling around, both fans are on with a 160* thermo......why is it getting so freking hot and not cooling down even when i stop?????
Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have your fans turned on at a stop and the temp is still going up?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 98 temp guage will creep when I'm stopped sometimes until the fan cuts on and then it'll drop back down. If you're running a 160 degree stat then you might want to program your cooling fans to kick in a little sooner if you haven't done that yet. If your fans are running and you're still overheating then something is definitely wrong.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would make sure nothing is blocking the radiator, also change the radiator cap, and also bleed the system. You have a new thermostat, so I didn't recommend that....
Old 06-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u bleed all the air out of the system then this is definently ur radiator, it is clogged! i had the same problem on one of my cars on the freeway the temprature would rise just for no reason and it would keep going up, also one way to double check, check to see the temprature differance of the top radiater hose and the bottom radiater hose the bottom should feel wayyy cooler, and also squeeze the top radiater hose if it is under alot of pressure then it is ur radiater, hope u fix it soon good luck
Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look into the temp differences between those two hoses when I go out tonight. Thanks for that tip..i cant believe i didn't think of that...lol But one more question, i never heard of bleeding the coolent, how do you do that?