Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed pacesetter headers/ory

Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed pacesetter headers/ory

I got it done this weekend, took me about 4 hours, I already had edelbrock race style longtubes on my car that were scratched and dinged up on the bottom with some small leaks, they also leaked at the Y pipe. Some parts of the install were a pain in the *** but overall its not too bad, it really sucked because I did half of it in the rain, I got bit by ants when I was under the car working as well... Ants like to come out durring the rain.

These ceramic pacesetters look so much better, and they are hella quieter when cruising and accelerating . I dont think its just because I fix the leaks, but they dont make any rasp at 2k(unlike an ls1) and I have a magnaflow and ORY, they sound super quiet, its weird. I like them better though.

I got the car tuned before this and i'm considering getting it tuned again because my problem is now fixed (external air hitting o2's causing rich fuel mixture), also my fuel economy improved.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same setup, its really pretty tame until you get to around 3500 rpm, then it gets real loud.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

I want to do the same thing. Did you have a lift of some sort? or did you just use jack stands?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
I want to do the same thing. Did you have a lift of some sort? or did you just use jack stands?
I used ramps and they werent high enough to pull the headers out throught he bottom so I jacked it up higher and supported it with wood blocks which are more safe than jack stands.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by motoo344
I have the same setup, its really pretty tame until you get to around 3500 rpm, then it gets real loud.
Maybe i'm just used to driving it when it was louder, but it sounds really tamed, time for a cutout like my old setup.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Was it a pain to put them in through the bottom, this is going to be my first time doing this to and LS1 car so i'm trying to find out as much as possible. Also, are cutouts worth anything?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Was it a pain to put them in through the bottom, this is going to be my first time doing this to and LS1 car so i'm trying to find out as much as possible. Also, are cutouts worth anything?
No its not hard installing them, the hardest part was getting them out, it will probably be a bigger pita if you have stock manifolds. The passenger side bolts are difficult to get to and everything is tight on that side. I left my coils and everything on, even spark plugs(I smashed 2 on the driver side).. once everything is out of the way the headers slide in easily, just tightening bolts and the y pipe after that. Yes a cutout frees up horsepower, and it sounds awesome.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

I have the pacesetter longtubes (bought them used) and had to grind a little on the K member to get the driver side to fit up in there. Stock manifold was definatly more difficult on the passenger side. Made my job easier by taking off the passenger side coil pack and pulling out the plugs. Slid right in from the bottom. Took me about 4-5 hours as well except I originally had stock manifolds with egr/air. Not bad
Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

so was the ORYP Pacesetter also? im about to purchase them, but laaaaaasst time i checked, PACESETTER ypipe was suppose to be crap. I had them on my last car, and made a custom y because of that, but it looked like crap.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Launching!

I like my pacesetter y-pipe... people don't like it because it's still crushed slightly under the driver side for clearance but personally I don't think it can make that much difference, i'd rather have the ground clearance.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

not as much as the stock one though right???
Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ima get mines
No its not hard installing them, the hardest part was getting them out, it will probably be a bigger pita if you have stock manifolds. The passenger side bolts are difficult to get to and everything is tight on that side. I left my coils and everything on, even spark plugs(I smashed 2 on the driver side).. once everything is out of the way the headers slide in easily, just tightening bolts and the y pipe after that. Yes a cutout frees up horsepower, and it sounds awesome.
I appreciate you telling me. Like I said, this will be a first for me to do. Along with the other typical mods.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A ratching wrench (10mm) is your best friend when doing a header install - might as well get two just in case one gets ate by the K member, Just take you time, you will be pleased with the results.

Search this Thread