Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Pulley Question

I need help removing the alternator pulley. I have the torx socket that fits inside and I was holdin the outside nut with vice scripts since i have no wrench that is the correct shape for fitting inside the pulley. Anyways I had a friend holding the vice scripts hard and pushing the nut counter clockwise while I was pushing the ratchet with the torx bit in the oppisite direction.

Is this nut by any chance reverse threaded? Or is there something I am doing wrong.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never pulled the alternator but I know you need a pulley puller for the power steering pump, maybe you need one for the alternator as well? Check with your local auto parts store, they may have a tool loaner program.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aDaM Ws6
I need help removing the alternator pulley. I have the torx socket that fits inside and I was holdin the outside nut with vice scripts since i have no wrench that is the correct shape for fitting inside the pulley. Anyways I had a friend holding the vice scripts hard and pushing the nut counter clockwise while I was pushing the ratchet with the torx bit in the oppisite direction.

Is this nut by any chance reverse threaded? Or is there something I am doing wrong.
pull the whole alt off and find someone with an impact. those nuts normally have a lock washer underneath.