Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions about header installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple of questions about header installation

Ive been searchin, but the search mode is all screwy. I just got a couple of questions.
1. Is it better to run O2 sims for the rears or to get them tuned out?

2. After header installation, is it necessary to get a tune?

3. Exactly what is a tune? Is it where they just delete codes that pop up from installation?

4. How much does a tune usually cost to do at a shop?

Thats all the questions I have. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Is it better to run O2 sims for the rears or to get them tuned out? Tuned out since you will be paying for a tune anyway. Otherwise there is zero difference; pay for the sims or pay some one to delete the codes.

2. After header installation, is it necessary to get a tune? Yes, to optimize the new A/F ratio

3. Exactly what is a tune? Is it where they just delete codes that pop up from installation? They delete tunes and optimize A/F ratio on a dyno

4. How much does a tune usually cost to do at a shop? For codes, I've seen as low as $50. For dyno tuning to optimize A/F ratios I've seen as low as $350 but standard anymore is $500.

Now, so you know, you can of course drive the car without getting a tune after headers. But to optimize your investment, get a tune. Without the tune, you may experience things like loss of low end power, backfiring etc, just so you know all the facts. Many wait to get a tune once they make several changes so it doesn't cost as much; ie a cam and headers at the same time.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you have $400-500 laying around, I would wait on the tune. The computer will do a pretty good job of getting things running smoothly again but it wont happen overnite. I would get the codes deleted and wait for the tune till heads/cam because you WILL need it then. Again tho, your car, your money so its really up to you but it isnt necessary.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

k. thanks alot. very good explanations.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Tuned out

2. Not necessary but it will help and they can turn off the rear 02's at the same time and the a.i.r.

3. They turn the rear sensor monitoring off by setting the codes to no mill and not reported. They can also hook up a wideband 02 and change the main ve table to achieve the correct afr with the added flow.

4. My local shop was going to charge 375 for a speed density tune b4 I decided to buy efilive myself.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You do? i never did any of this things to mine. JK, all these guys make good sugestions but realy depends on who you know and how much u can spend.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I got a tune from Wait4me for 75 bucks.