Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things Just Aren't Working Out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't his job to suggest your car will lose power. Its his job to make the customer happy.

I think he just doesn't like you.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my GOD I ******* hate stupid ******* old guys like this. Let me guess, he used to have a 3/4 race cam in his car? Yeah, no one knows what the **** that means.

Tell him to back up his claims with stories not related to his inability to install superchargers. It's not your fault he sucks.

Then kill him.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Choco, man take a breather. You keep mentioning a ride home. Most shops I have been to/go to can do this in under 2 hours. Take it there when you got the time and like me, nit pick until its done right. Take a chance with one of the "other" shops. Sometimes that means talking to the Techs and not the guy in an office. Most of them know a thing or two, just they dont get to talk to customers too much prior. I am sure, with a little effort you would find at least ONE person at one of the shops that knows whats up....
Old 06-24-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Why do you not want to run an X pipe?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
Choco, man take a breather. You keep mentioning a ride home. Most shops I have been to/go to can do this in under 2 hours. Take it there when you got the time and like me, nit pick until its done right. Take a chance with one of the "other" shops. Sometimes that means talking to the Techs and not the guy in an office. Most of them know a thing or two, just they dont get to talk to customers too much prior. I am sure, with a little effort you would find at least ONE person at one of the shops that knows whats up....

after mowing the grass and taking a breather from this thread, I firmly agree with this guy.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Bo White
Why do you not want to run an X pipe?
i don't like the way they sound.

as for mufflex:

i imagine them to be very expensive. on top of that, i also want to get my headers installed at the exact same time. i'm not putting them in myself because i don't have the time or tools to do it. i'm not doing them on jackstands, and i really don't want to be driving around with open headers, either.

so if i were to go to mufflex, i would need them to do headers and true duals all at once...i doubt they would get that done in a single day...i don't know if they could do that in, say, 8 hours. i'd be willing to do it on a saturday, but do you really think mufflex will be able to install QTP's AND fabricate true duals up for 8 hours? and do you think they'd be able to do it all for less than 1k?

the only thing that worries me about the true duals is that it may be TOO TOO loud. not for me - that's not what i'm concerned about. i'm concerned about being pulled over every 10 feet.

for you guys with true duals and one chambers...how loud is it under just daily driving with the stock heads and cam? and how is it at cruise? if i were to do this i'd be running it out the back.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mufflex is going to be pricey but they do excellent work. Call them and atleast get a quote. I am almost positive it will be more then 1K though. If you schedule it in advance they may be able to get it done in a day. Talk it over with them, they should be able to give you some solid numbers.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Grifter
Mufflex is going to be pricey but they do excellent work.
i guess they do it all in stainless, too...

oh boy...2k exhaust...

i don't see a point in getting stainless exhaust when flowmaster one chambers are aluminized...
Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Dude... MUFFLEX. Well worth the drive, they do badass work. I know exactly the type of person this guy is whom you are describing, it's frustrating, I know I drove 1.5hrs to Mufflex when I had my LT1, my friend went back with his LT1, and I'll go there again when (not IF) I have to run my duals out the back.
did they do duals on your LT1 when you had it? if they did, how much was it? was it stainless?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if youre worried about being pulled over, id seriously reconsider the single chambers. epecially if you ever do a cam.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i guess they do it all in stainless, too...

oh boy...2k exhaust...

i don't see a point in getting stainless exhaust when flowmaster one chambers are aluminized...
I believe that is up to you; I think they offer both.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

The true duals and the flowmaster is going to be HELLA Loud. Had that set up on a 78 Camaro with a big cam and stroker motor. Even at idle it was an earth shaker. Cool as long as the fuzz aint all over you. Wasnt a problem where I was at tho. Your best bet is to talk to a local shop/tech to do it. As far as time goes, there are people here that have done thier headers on jackstands in less than 8 hours with no experience. Fabbing up the dual pipes isnt really all that hard to a guy that is familiar with the bender either. Couple hours tops 3 if he is REALLY taking his time.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well just install your LTs with a y-pipe setup for temp. Then drive over there and get your true duals done.

Its not that hard to figure out.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, do not let this guy ruin the excitement of putting a full-exhaust on your car. getting work done to your car should be a great feeling, even more if YOU do it but I can you are not set on that.

also, the TSP kit is on backorder for like 3-5 weeks so that involves waiting but you could just buy the whole kit from them minus mufflers for like $375 or something I believe is what I was quoted. Then have someone add the one chambers, wouldnt be too hard. I would just find another place to go to or find someone who can weld to help you out. If you are close to this guy and he is feeding you this BS and wont let you do WHAT YOU WANT TO to your OWN car because it is YOUR money that you are spending, then why deal with him??? its your car, your money, get what you want. you dont have any friends to help you out is this situation with driving? you dont have sick days with work that you can use?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Take a day off.

Second, that shop guy is an idiot. A business owner's job is to make the customer happy with his product. In the end, you're the one driving your car not him. You will NOT BE HAPPY if you are forced into something you don't want.

I've not noticed any loss of low end torque. Around town at the speeds I drive all day, (under 2500rpm), I cruise around just like I did before. When comparing to the mid to high end, heck yeah it doesn't have nearly as much torque, but who the hell want's 300 ft/lb at 1000-1500rpm when you are trying to park your damn car or inching in traffic???

As for the sound, the muffler is a preference thing. dynomax bullet's didn't work out for me as the drone <2500rpm was insane. My head was ringing. I now have some custom mufflers that pretty much keep the car quiet except for a nice bass tone. At WOT it's the demon unleashed, the car's around me know I'm flooring it.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No they didn't do duals on my LT1, they did however install the headers, fix me up a y-pipe, and install everything else. Car run better than ever, no leaks, work was top notch, and they were very generous with labor (had to rip one header back out due to mfg. defect). No stainless was used, but on my friend's car that needed a whole NEW y-pipe, we drove down open headers, about 2hrs in the middle of the night. Stayed over at Rutger's, went the next morning ~930am. Waited there as the work was done, they even let us watch them work. Finished a few hours later and we were on our way. He supplied the cats, and spend I believe under 300 on the whole thing, not stainless, but bear in mind that was materials, labor, etc. Don't quote me on that price, but neither he nor I could believe how cheap it was. If you want some awesome exhaust work done, go to Mufflex. Who cares what your friend's buddy says, he's not driving the car at the end of the day, Just my .02.

-J
Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Teching In

check out kc's customs in jersey. Hes done some sick work for me and pretty cheap too. his number is 1-201-825-9892.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Well just install your LTs with a y-pipe setup for temp. Then drive over there and get your true duals done.

Its not that hard to figure out.
this is probably what i'm going to wind up doing.

i've thought it over long and hard. i think the best solution is to just get my headers in and get it driveable for the time being. then, one day, i'll take a swing up to trenton and have mufflex rig me up a nice, custom, mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust system...maybe even stainless if i have the money.

i can get a custom y-pipe made for dirt cheap. i can get a flowmaster merge and a reducer for a measly $65. add in the cost of pipe and an hour of labor and i'm out $200 for a y-pipe. that doesn't sound too bad IMO. yea, it'll be wasted money down the road, but i just don't have the time to do it the economic way. i just can't do it right the first time this time.

who knows, maybe i'll even like the y-pipe setup. it may be just what i'm looking for. only one way to find out i guess...

thanks to everyone for their input thus far. who could ever think a guy could get so mad over a stupid exhaust system?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
who could ever think a guy could get so mad over a stupid exhaust system?
I can, and did.

I had a buddy modify my TSP kit in his garage, and he almost exclusively works on import exhausts. I said I had tight clearances and he laughed.
Fortunately he had a great attitude about it, polar opposite of what your dealing with. He wanted the challenge.

In the end, and $350 later..

I might have gotten lucky, but you could too, you never know.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Teching In

heah, these higher compression LS? cars are starved for air in and out from the factory. A large exhaust will not hurt the engine, maybe burn the valves a slight bit quicker, but it will be around the time the motor take a S___! My tsp rumbler W/ sweet thunders are held togehter with band clamps, and is a little excessive in noise, but have turn downs before rearend and only make a ruckess after 2 grand. Also the sweet thunders reduce to 2 1/2before dumped. I'm petty sure after I get my new 9" and run it all the way out the back it will sound fine. I had 40,000 on the OD before install.