Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with Duals!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with Duals!

Tried a search with no luck. I have the TSP duals with Spiral Flows and I just got a set of heads put on and this thing is loud. A little too loud right now. It wasn't bad when it was cam only but after the heads it opened it up more. I LOVE the sound but my head thumps after I ride in it for 20-30 minutes.

My question is this, is it possible to put Bullets in before the Spiral Flows without hurting the performance of the duals or the unique tone of the Spiral Flows? I only want to make it just a little more quiet or bearable but still sound as good. And is there room to do it.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're wanting to make it quieter inside the cab then you should consider running them all the way out to the rear of the car. This will help ALOT with the interior sound level.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have turndowns, have the turndowns angled outward some where the exhaust is not pounding off the road and the sound can escape a little easier. Will help a little.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Deffinitly get rid of turn downs, huge difference
Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

A while back on LS1sounds or some site like that I heard a setup with bullets before the X and spiral flows after the X, and it sounded really nice and refined to me. If you really do like the current sound, but it gives you a headache, run them out that back, that's what I'd do.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input everyone! I love the sound, and out the back would be quiet on the inside! But I'm not interested in trying to run that setup out the back. It's far too complicated for the local muffler shops around here. I don't even think they'll custom make anything with mandrel bends in it. If they do they'll charge me an arm and a leg for sure, and I'm kinda attached to those right now.

I'm interested in the bullet idea except I'm not sure if I have room. Does anyone know the shortest length of a bullet? Even if it's quieted down overall I could tolerate it a little bit more.

My other idea would be ditch the dual and get the GMMG chambered exhaust. Expensive but it sounds good and be a little better on the inside I would think. Would it flow descent compared to my duals???

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could have the duals ran under the axle and out the back...thats what I'll be doing. It is much much cheaper to have it done that way, FYI. As far as the GMMG is concerned from what I've heard is that it flows very well...probably the best flowing catback IMO.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Well, you can buy mandrel "S" bends from like Jegs, and run it out back yourself if you have some fabricating skills and a welder. If you don't, and want to keep it dumped, see if you can squeeze a 12" bullet in the section before the X. If that isn't possible, then angle the turndowns outward a little bit, that really does make a big difference. FWIW, I used to think my Borla sounded amazing, and when I switched to my current true dual with Magnaflow 4x9's setup, I immediately made up my mind that I'd never go back to a Y pipe setup.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

one more for running it out the back....will quiet it down considerably
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

does turning the turndowns to a 45 degree angle in relation to the ground make that much of a difference?

i'm about to install my headers and true duals this weekend and i guess i'll just leave the turndowns clamped and experiment with the angle of hte turndown

can anyone shed any light on this?

and not to completely hijack your thread, but i think the short bullet mufflers could quiet it down a bit, might ahve to put htem before the X portion, but i dont think it'll affect the performance too terribly much
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

turning the angles on the turn downs do make a difference in sound....turning them more outward would make it quieter in the car but louder outside....turning them straight down will make them louder in the car because of the rebound of sound off the ground
Old 06-27-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha their loud for a reason.. i love the way they sound..
Old 06-27-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I made sure mine were angled down at 45 degrees and I could tell a difference from inside the car.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Teching In

I think I'm going to try the putting 2 bullets in first (before the x) and maybe remove the turndowns. That will quiet the exhaust overall and then put the sound outside of the car. It will probably be as loud outside as it is now just quieter inside. If that doesn't help any I'll look into running it out the back. It might be possible to have my cake and eat it too. I'll give it a shot and let eveyone know. By the way if you have anymore ideas or comments on this one let me know. Thanks for all the input!