Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No A/C, I'm sweating!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No A/C, I'm sweating!

I have searched unsuccessfully for threads on this subject. My air conditioning has stopped cooling. A local A/C shop wants $90-150 diagnostic fee, applied to repair if work done there. I can replace the entire system for $150-200 from members in the sales forum here. Can anyone offer some advice on determining if I should pay someone to recharge my old system and pray, or just buy a used system here?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to try recharging it first go to an auto parts store and buy the kit and do it yourself. $90-150 for just a diagnostic sounds high to me, and why the $60 spread?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend's AC in his vette stopped working. He just bought the kit, threw more refridgerant in, and now it works perfect. Get the kit with the little gauge thing.

-J
Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd definetely try recharging the system first. It will cost you ~$15 to buy the two cans of R-134 and hose to recharge the system. Of course, if you're out of refrigerant, that means there must be a leak somewhere. While you're at it, buy a high/low pressure repair kit (includes schrader valves and caps) which will cost you another $6 or so. If your car isn't cooling after a week or two later, you've got a leak somewhere or if it doesn't cool off the bat, your compressor is shot. Either way it will only cost a little over $20 to recharge it yourself and then you'll atleast know it's something more serious.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I felt the same way about the $60 range. She said it just depended on the car. The shop specializes in A/C, and has a good reputation, but WOW! I'll definately try to DIY route. I used one of those Arctic things last summer, but it only cooled it a bit, and it is gone now. I'll check out the repair kit too.
I appreciate all input!