Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerbond Pulley and stock bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerbond Pulley and stock bolt

Okay, first of all, I searched. I bought the 25% underdrive pulley from Texas-Speed and I'm using the stock bolt from my '00 WS6. It's like I'm supposed to be using a smaller bolt. The pulley needs to move in another 1/16" or so and the bolt just feels bottomed out. I've given it a couple extra cranks but now I think it is twisting the bolt and about to shear so I'm afraid to turn it anymore.

Bottom line, everything I've found says that I'm using the right bolt, but it just doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I read a little bit more... do I need to lubricate the face of the washer? Like it's binding on the pulley and not pulling it on... I guess I'll try that tomorrow...
Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed mine the other day with 618HAWK's tool; it went on smooth as silk. https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/391883-new-crank-dampener-installation-tool-pics.html I've never installed one without the tool, so I can't really help you too much.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

I used another, longer bolt to get it started. I've done this before, with the stock pulley and didn't have a problem. But now with this Powerbond I'm wondering if it's the same depth. Dangit! This is going to hold up my build all weekend!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Superjoe
I used another, longer bolt to get it started. I've done this before, with the stock pulley and didn't have a problem. But now with this Powerbond I'm wondering if it's the same depth. Dangit! This is going to hold up my build all weekend!
Hey brother,

How did you get the powerbond on? I'll be putting mine on here shortly, just wondering how you went about doing it?

thanks
Barry
Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Addict

longer bolt works fine
just be rery rery carefull
Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shooter
Hey brother,

How did you get the powerbond on? I'll be putting mine on here shortly, just wondering how you went about doing it?

thanks
Barry

Hey Barry,

Yeah, I did get it on. I had to add a couple of washers to my longer bolt tool that I already had to get it on all of the way. I figured out that the stock bolt was starting to stretch before it pulled the pulley all of the way on. It really wasn't a big deal. I don't have the specs on the longer bolt but you can search for it. You'll need one large washer that meets with the face of the pulley and then a bunch of smaller ones to use as spacers between the large washer and head of the bolt. I think I needed a total of 8.