Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is loud too loud? AKA droned to death...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is loud too loud? AKA droned to death...

The basics:
My T/A is currently equipped with SLP long tubes and SLP ORY. The catback I am running is a crappy flowmaster at the moment. I am about to put in a comp XER273HR. I was wanting to get a better catback, as my flowmaster decided to break an internal baffle and now rattles like no tomorrow. My buddy has his SLP loudmouth catback for sale and gave me a hell of a price on it ($80) for the entire system. My question is am I gonna be hating myself after about three days of thinking its cool and then quickly getting tired of the drone? Anyone have a similar exhaust setup and what are you opinions on loud exhausts over time? I understand everyone has a different tolerance level, but I want to here what you guys think about this setup and similar ones to this.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you're going to hate it. I had longtubes, ory, and a tsp rumbler which is a dyno-mouth essentially, which is supposed to be quiter.. still WAY too much. Too much BLAT'ing at 2500 rpm's, too loud overall, droned in the cabin real bad.

I went with a spintech catback, and had the dynomax bullet put in the I-pipe, and that was REAL quiet with a good open throttle sound.. but I played it too safe and wanted it a touch louder so I had the bullet muffler removed and a straight 3 inch pipe in it's place, the way it came from spintech.. WOW!! perfect sound, VERY LITTLE rasp, and my god, with my heads/cam there is no mistaking thnat the car means buisness without being obnoxious.

Everyone who has heard it loves the spintech catback, it doesn't sound quite the same as other catbacks.. it's very deep. I'm eventually going more cubes and QTP's with a true dual set-up.. but I will DEFINATELY be using spintech mufflers in it.. I am in love with the sound.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd put money on it that you'll hate it. 99% of people don't like the ORY/Loudmouth combo. It's probably the raspiest sounding system you can put on your car.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol.. i got lt's ory, loudmouth, and its cammed, have not started it yet..