Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition questions

Ok, been thinking about going with new fuel injectors and such when I do heads this winter or spring.

Talking to a friend he asked me if I did any ignition stuff. I havent.

He said it really woke his older mustang up and was the best bang for the buck he did, had a bud with a 92 iroc i believe say the same thing.

Anyways. Search function gave me google links that were horrid and yes I tyoed it in the right area for the forums search hehe.

I didnt see any ignition threads the first couple of pages, so im thinking maybe it isnt done much on these ls1's since they got rid f the opti-crap.

I see the msd has coil packs, but doesnt appear to have a controller pack for the ls1's. Would we need to get the car re-tuned if we just changed the coil packs? I wouldnt think the coil packs would require to adjust the timing etc..

But then again i dont know jack about the ignition stuff and dammit havent been able to search it up so that I can get a quick education on it. hehe

Anyways any help and feedback would rock Ill be checking it all day tomorrow
Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would save your money. there isnt anything wrong with the stock coil packs. there are some very fast cars out there with the stock coil packs. at most would be spark plugs & wires if yours are old
Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The coil-on-plug ignition is very efficient and there has been no documented increase of performance from changing t the MSD coils. I would save the money and apply it somewhere else...like towards a 12-bolt.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
The coil-on-plug ignition is very efficient and there has been no documented increase of performance from changing t the MSD coils. I would save the money and apply it somewhere else...like towards a 12-bolt.
Bingo!