Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Temp gauge install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003 | 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Default Water Temp gauge install questions

I noticed that when i pulled my heads off, that the passanger side has a coolant block off plug threaded in it, where as the drivers side head has the coolant temp sensor in it. Well, I want to put in my autometer water temp gauge, and was hoping that I can use the passangers side coolant hole, (just take out the plug, and thread in the autometer electric sender into it. Has anyone done this yet, as soon as my new heads get here, That will be one of the first things that i'll try.
Old 05-14-2003 | 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Water Temp gauge install questions

The passenger side head is where most people tap into for the installation of aftermarket water temp gauges. You will need an adapter, however, to make the AutoMeter sender fit. Here's a link which outlines the process, as well as where to get the adapter:

http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html

BTW - If you do go with the Equus adapter, be warned: THEY BREAK EASILY...

...don't ask me why I know that...
Old 05-14-2003 | 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Water Temp gauge install questions

Heed what Retsik said about them breaking easy. Install the sending unit into the adapter first and then the adapter into the head. DO NOT over tighten either. Also make sure you apply torque evenly with the wrench. If you twist wrong you'll be left with the threads part of the adapter in the head. If you do break it off in the head, a screw extractor will take it out without a problem.

Quick Reply: Water Temp gauge install questions