Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil In Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil In Knock Sensor

Has Any One Ever Found Oil In Knock Sensor Hole In The Valley Cover? Strange Thing Is There Is No Sign Of Oil Under The Intake. Only Thing I Can Think Of Is Oil Is Getting In Between Where Valley Cover And Block Meet Around The Knock Sensor. Any Ideas?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like the only place oil could come from is bottom up. I had oil in mine too and decided to just replace the vally cover with the LS6 style b/c is comes with new seals for the Knock sensors and it helps the engine breathe better. I didn't know how to test whether or not the sensor was still working properly so I replaced the oil soaked one.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

yeah i replaced both mine during the intake swap, but i just put some sealer around the inside where the valley cover and valley meet down inside the knock sensor hole. had that happen on the back and rusted on the front. still have a low voltage input code for the back so am confused on why the front didn't have a code cause it was rusted. anyway i am not pulling the intake for awhile to find out. still have stock timing and air fuel is good 12.5-12.7:1 so not to worried about it.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LS6 Valley cover leaks oil around the knock sensor as well...both actually. I have no idea why, but I just tried to seal it back up as best I could and slapped it back together. It has been fine, and the oil is staying put (as in it isn't using any). I don't think it should do it though...just don't feel like pulling the damned intake to fix it, although I might get pissed enough to if I keep having problems getting this stupid piece of **** SLP underdrive pulley off my crank
Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

i don't think it should do it either, since the front is not like that. don't know how long it was like that. no ill effects so far other than bad knock sensor. will keep an eye on it and just play it by ear.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Those seals around the knock sensors become hard and brittle fairly quickly. Easy and cheap enough to replace.

Quick Reply: Oil In Knock Sensor