Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FTRA Install Problem

Can anyone shed some light on this issue if it was encontered or how to fix it for those that have installed one? I installed a FTRA last night and everything installed fine along with the holes lining up at all location to secure the device. It came time to position the base for the filter tray on to the top of the FTRA and I noticed a problem. Once I had the base connected to the top of the radiator I lined up the holes in the support with the holes base and saw that the top of the FTRA is about 3/16 of an inch to far to the right (as look from above in front of the vehicle). This will not allow me to get a good seal between the base and the top of the FTRA. I double checked all the measurments for the cuts that I did and they were good. That along with all the bolt holes lining up tells me there may be an issue with the product or maybe the car???

I have a phone and email message in to Fast Toys about the issue already.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every car is a little different. the factory has specs that can go noe way or another within a certain limit. you could drill your own holes if you want.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
Every car is a little different. the factory has specs that can go noe way or another within a certain limit. you could drill your own holes if you want.
I guess that is an option and didn't really think of that. I will try to losen everything and tweak later and if that does not work then I will probably do what you suggested. I guess I am looking for someone to step in and say "oh ya, I had that problem and the 5 minute fix is..."

Well just got a call from Fast Toys and guess what they said? You must knew what they were thinking Tainted because they suggested to elongate the holes a bit.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I repair total loss cars so I always keep in mind everything is different from another so nothing is a perfect fit
Old 07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FTRA is kind of a pain to fit. Probably need to cut away more of the plastic surrounding the duct.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tainted
I repair total loss cars so I always keep in mind everything is different from another so nothing is a perfect fit

BTW, how or why would you repair a "total loss" car. Could you fix this?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

bahhh that guy is an asshat. I sent that **** AT LEAST 200 pics and he wont even post them and give the story behind it.

hows this?

Old 07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned

Yeah, I think you would have trouble getting a FTRA to fit in any of those rides.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

lol I thought the thread was soon top be highjacked, but then it jumped back.

When I installed mine I had the same problem. I just had to trim away a little bit of the plastic and fight with it to get the holes to line up on top. I can never really get the rain guard on there, I haven't used it but twice.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Yeah, I think you would have trouble getting a FTRA to fit in any of those rides.
You folks are a bunch of clowns sometimes...but you need that around here.

Yes my quest for a better fit will begin manana. I was up till 0445 this morning trying to finish it off and finally said I need to ask someone. I will remove what is needed to oblong the holes in the FTRA. I have done a lot of driving today which has given me a chance to really think about it an it should turn out fine.

Two questions? Why didn't they make the system one piece and eliminate those dumb a$$ wing nuts/harware? Why would they use a bolt in some of their areas with a Robertson (square driver) head on it? Never mind the online encylopedia says it is a Canadian thing. I prefer Torx myself.