Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watertemp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Watertemp gauge

Alright so i'm looking to getting a new gauge that i want to install and i'm pretty shure i can do all the install my self the only question i have is can i just pull out hte old water temp sensor and replace it with a new sending unit like for the auto meter gauges? or do i have to tap into some where else?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

water temp sensor - the information to the gauge cluster is in serial data, so you cannot tap into it. you can not use the temp gauge on the driver side head as it is used by the PCM (99+ LS1's). one option is to use the plug on rear of the passenger side head, BUT you need to get an adapter that does not come with the autometer gauge. this is autometer p/n 2277 1/8NPT to 12X1.5mm, but you must also drill out to fit sender. you can then use the existing location towards the back of the passenger head to screw in the sending unit. BE CAREFUL as it is easy to break. you will then have to run a wire to the gauge through the firewall from there.
there are other adapters that are the same thread out there, but they are CRAP. they break very easily. I broke two before i got the autometer adapter.

i got this info from here
Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see a link? Can't i tap into any where there is fluid? or would it give me an inaccuate reading? Can i put a T fitting and run it in the same spot and the factory one?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive seen a few people use a T fitting in the rubber hose for the steam vent to the radiator.. that would be the easiest route.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Teching In

i just diid this in my 02 ss u need to use the port on the passenger head. u need 12mmx1.5 adapter and sender 2259 from jegs. works perfect.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
ive seen a few people use a T fitting in the rubber hose for the steam vent to the radiator.. that would be the easiest route.
you could do that and it would be alot easier but its not goin to be as accurate as if you get a reading from inside the block, another option would be to tap a hole in the water pump, but the passenger side head would probally be the easist
Old 07-21-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

i put the sensor in the round top of the water pump right near the hose outlet.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by boondiggys
i put the sensor in the round top of the water pump right near the hose outlet.
did you do it with the water pump on the car? or did you take it off and then drill a hole?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsench
water temp sensor - the information to the gauge cluster is in serial data, so you cannot tap into it. you can not use the temp gauge on the driver side head as it is used by the PCM (99+ LS1's). one option is to use the plug on rear of the passenger side head, BUT you need to get an adapter that does not come with the autometer gauge. this is autometer p/n 2277 1/8NPT to 12X1.5mm, but you must also drill out to fit sender. you can then use the existing location towards the back of the passenger head to screw in the sending unit. BE CAREFUL as it is easy to break. you will then have to run a wire to the gauge through the firewall from there.
there are other adapters that are the same thread out there, but they are CRAP. they break very easily. I broke two before i got the autometer adapter.

i got this info from here
what do you mean drill out? not sure what your talking about doing here...

i've got the autometer cobalt temp guage, had it for about 2 years now and never have hooked up the sensor...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Teching In

the gauge is very close the stock gauge is off i dont think a degree or 2 will matter. my friend used a handheld programmer and it showed a 5 degree lower diffrence than the stock gauge.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
did you do it with the water pump on the car? or did you take it off and then drill a hole?
had it off the car, my friend had it clamped into a drill press with towels shoved in the pump so no shavings would go into the impeller.

EDIT- just remember to drill the hole favoring the side away from the throttle body, or else the brass fitting might interfere with the linkage.

Last edited by boondiggys; 07-27-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Watertemp gauge