Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single cat in an off-road Y pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single cat in an off-road Y pipe???

Just as a thought to tone down the "blattiness/rasp" of the GMMG after LT and offroad y install. Would it be possible to place a single hi-flow cat in the y-pipe after it joins together? Is there even enough pipe? How long is a magnaflow hi-flow cat anyhow? I have the pacesetter y if it helps. I was thinking cat instead of a bullet muffler because it's shorter and I dont want to hack up my GMMG and put a bullet muffler in the I pipe, and I'm obviously trying to do it as cheaply as possible since only going with one (looking back I should've just went with a catted y in the first place, oh well, lesson learned). So, any thoughts?

Joe.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

I have pacesetter with ORy, then 3'' cutout, then a single highflow cat to reduce noise for daily driving. It really cut the raspiness out and sounds really good. I originally bought two thunderbolt 3'' high flow cats but only used one. LEt me know if you want the other one.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

I heard that that will strangle you exhaust quite a bit and you will loose lots of power. This is how I fixed my problem. I also heard you can buy another intermediate pipe from GMMG for around 100 bucks.
I have LT's, ORY and GMMG and I put a powerpack muffler in my Intermediate pipe today, with the exhaust flow going against the louvers. It took 100 percent of the rasp away. My bad spot was 2k to 3k rpm's. Now this is my best spot. I bought these Medium Powerpack had them installed for 20 bucks. Best investment so far.

Travis
Old 07-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Thebeast431
I heard that that will strangle you exhaust quite a bit and you will loose lots of power.
Travis
That's true. If you are going for all out power don't put a cat unless it has a cutout before it.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I put a powerpack muffler in my Intermediate pipe today, with the exhaust flow going against the louvers. It took 100 percent of the rasp away. Travis
Do you mean to say you put it in backwards?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

The power pack can go either way. Going against the louvers you create more back pressure, thus eliminating the rasp, at least it did in my application.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

I heard that that will strangle you exhaust quite a bit and you will loose lots of power. This is how I fixed my problem. I also heard you can buy another intermediate pipe from GMMG for around 100 bucks.
I have LT's, ORY and GMMG and I put a powerpack muffler in my Intermediate pipe today, with the exhaust flow going against the louvers. It took 100 percent of the rasp away. My bad spot was 2k to 3k rpm's. Now this is my best spot. I bought these Medium Powerpack had them installed for 20 bucks. Best investment so far.

Travis
Well I definitely dont want any power loss. I'll look into the powerpack, sounds like you had exactly what I have, 2K-3K the rasp is horrible. If it cured yours it's probably exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info fellas.

Joe.

Quick Reply: Single cat in an off-road Y pipe???