Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metallic spun cats vs 2nd muffler for TDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default metallic spun cats vs 2nd muffler for TDs

I have decided to go with a medium powerstick on either side, but I think I will need something else to quiet it down because cops suck around here and the car may have to enter into daily driver service soon if I switch jobs. That being said....am I better off with Magnaflow metallic spun cats or trying to fit a smaller muffler right after the collectors? The tech. guy from Jegs told me that the Magnaflow cats will probably do nothing for quieting it down...but I doubt if I have 16" of spare room before the X pipe. I want to quiet it down a bit...but I don't want to potentially screw with the chambered sound by adding a different muffler.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

On my previous car I had TD's and it was just too loud for how much I was driving the car, so I had some cats put in and it didn't do much at all to quiet them down. Now I'm about to put LT's and TD's on my current car but I'm going to run them out the back and put another set of mufflers right before the tips. That way I can drive around during the week with it ran out the back and a little quieter and just unbolt the rear section at the track and have it only run through one set of mufflers.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

just ordered 4 powersticks....I hope that's enough
Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

You putting 2 in front of the X-pipe and 2 behind it?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

just changed my order because my shop won't touch it without cats...so its 2 metallic spun Magnaflow cats before and 2 medium powersticks after the the X pipe...I really hope this isn't too loud, I don't need any more police attention.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

I think with the cats installed you will be happy with the results. Without them you would of had a few police problems.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't be surprised if the metallic spun cats do absolutely nothing to quiet it down. numerous people have installed magnaflow 59559's into their previously catless setup and reported that there was NO change in loudness at all. the cats will clean up rasp for sure, but if you want them the quiet down your setup, the metallic cores aren't the way to go. you want plain old ceramic for that since they're more restrictive.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't mind if its a little on the loud side, but I don't wanna have to coast by every cop or worry about driving my car at night and being hassled. I just want a smooth, nasty sounding car that doesn't resemble a 1980's chevy pickup with 2" cherrybombs. Really, the only reason I went with cats is because my buddy's shop won't touch it without them....but there was no way I was going to spend $160 on cats, and then $53 each for 4 mufflers, plus the X junction, and $600 in headers, plus the tips, plug wires, plugs, gaskets, tuning etc....just too much freakin money for the MAYBE 30hp gain.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you see any of my vids.... one is on the classicchambered website