Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rookie Hooker header install review

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rookie Hooker header install review

ok, first off...I have never done any work on an F-body other than air lid before. I had a lift and pretty much any tool around, and one GM technician working with me. The hardest part was getting the pass. side coil packs off and trying to start the middle bolt on the pass side.

My car is bone stock with 41K miles on it....I didn't have to remove steering knucle, oil filter, or anything...they slid right in there like butter! Not even a grind on the casting tab!!!!

THE BOLTS THAT COME WITH THE HOOKER HEADERS WERE A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO GET STARTED IF YOU USE GM GASKETS!!!!! I used bolts that were about 1/4" longer and everything went in smooth as glass. For two guys who had never done this before, including an hour food/beer break and 2 trips to the parts store...it took us about 8.5 hours....45 min. of that was realizing that the dipstick tube goes BEHIND the 2nd primary

overall, these went in pretty damn easy, but I will never volunteer to do this again, and I'm pretty sure my buddy isn't speaking to me know after seeing the cuts/shop light burns on his arms!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

It took me about that long too, I had to remove the steering knuckle to get the pacesetter's to fit but didn't have to notch the k-member like others said I would have to, I spent about 30-45 min trying to get the last spark plug boot off the passenger side before we realized that the headers can go on and off with it still on there . Congrats on the install glad everything went well.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, I don't know if everything went well yet....he wired the starter up backwards and when I connected the battery, it just started cranking and cranking....and now nothing happens, so I bought a new starter this morning and will put it in after work. I just hope and pray we don't have any leaks, I really really don't wanna do this again.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
well, I don't know if everything went well yet....he wired the starter up backwards and when I connected the battery, it just started cranking and cranking....and now nothing happens, so I bought a new starter this morning and will put it in after work. I just hope and pray we don't have any leaks, I really really don't wanna do this again.
ha ha I hear ya about not wanting to do it again, to bad about the starter. Did you hook the rest of the exhaust system up already? If not you have to start it with straight headers, that **** is crazy
Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't install the true duals yet, my buddy is doing it all at his shop, but I he couldn't install the headers there due to his manager not wanting to take the cats off my car. So not only do I have to start it up with open headers, but I have to drive it 4 miles like that!!!!