Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y Pipe: Merged vs. Slammed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to sort of hack apart my XS Stainless Y and add a magnaflow Y (2x 3" in to 1x3 out" ) but they don't come in stainless, which is the only drawback I can see to it...

other than that though, having the typical slammed type of Y pipe has exhaust gases sort of careening throughout the joint, some of which actually run one exhaust smoothly through the transition (which is interrupted by another flow of exhaust going directly into the smoother flow ... IE: Hooker/JetHot Y)

so a smoother transition would certainly help some, and I assume the rasp would lessen as well just from the mellowing of the gasses, just my opinon however
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
4" at the y is what he meant. which mine tucks up well above my subframes. and it can be benificial to help scavenge the gases if built properly. but u will loose most of the benifit if there isnt a cutout directly behind it and u push it back into a 3" muffler.
I dont belive that. It seems that people think bigger is better. Why not just run a 6" sewer pipe? The bigger pipe is going to LOSE the scavenaging effect due to the loss of exhaust velocity in the system.

....or... are you alking the actual Y merege being 4" while the Y "pipes" still being 3"?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Country Boy
I dont belive that. It seems that people think bigger is better. Why not just run a 6" sewer pipe? The bigger pipe is going to LOSE the scavenaging effect due to the loss of exhaust velocity in the system.

....or... are you alking the actual Y merege being 4" while the Y "pipes" still being 3"?
the actual merge will be 4" but the inlet pipes would still be 3". and yes it does work
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes it does work ... i have built many like that and you will feel the difference
Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
A friend of mine has QTP lts and a QTP y pipe (which has a collector) and it's raspy.
Mine is the same and end result same, raspy. Something about the firing order and a single pipe makes the combo raspy IMHO. Heres a pik

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aropiks004.jpg

Last edited by Torkman15; 08-07-2007 at 10:15 PM.