Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in a magnaflow muffler ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a magnaflow and i like how i can go into "stealth mode" lol. mine is quiet until about 2k rpms than it gets loud, i have qtp headers and a ory with a cartek X3 cam.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Restricted User

I'm happy w/ my setup. I've got PS LT's, ORY, magnaflow catback w/an electric cutout at the Y. I like how it's quiet when I'm cruising around and it's moderately loud when I floor it. I'm putting my cam in this weekend (torquerv2 112lsa). I'm hoping it will stay very quiet for the stealth factor. It's loud as **** whenever I open my cutout which is what I was going for. Loud when I want it, and quiet when I want it quiet. btw, ls1sounds is only as good as the camera's mic.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Alright When I Say Quiet, I Literally Mean The Thing Sounds Like The Car Has A Collapsed Lung, When Im Driving It You Can Barely Hear It, Even Going Through The Construction Where We Have Two Concrete Barriers One On Each Side Of The Road You Cannot Even Hear The Exhaust Echoing Or Nothing. I Dont Know How Else To Explain Quiet Using Words Other Then Its A Notch Louder Then Stock, Yes I Have Heard It At Wide Open Throttle Behind The Car While A Buddy Wot'd It, It Sounded Alright But Nothing To Be Intimidated By At All.

When I First Bought The Car It Was Bone Stock, Except Off Road 2.5 Inch Y-pipe Into A Flowmaster...then I Did Pace Setter Longtubes Into A X-pipe And 2 Slp Lm Resonators, I Got Into Way To Much Trouble For Loud Exhaust, And Decided To Tame It Down A Bit, But I Have Heard Cat Back Ls1's Louder Then This At Idle, Cruise And Wot.

I Dont Mean To Sound Rude But After Investing All The Money I Did And Researching, And Talking To Them I Feel Ripped Off, I Know Sound Isnt Everything But At 22 Years Old And Having A Ls1 I Want To Enjoy It. I Use To Love Hearing My Exhuast While Driving, It Pumps You Up And Makes You Want To Get On It, Now I Drive My Car Like A 80 Year Old Man In A Crown Vic .
Old 08-24-2007, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

If you skip to about half way through the video you can hear the noise I am talking about at part throttle, it a lot worse at full throttle. It decently loud at Idle too but the music is kinda loud at the beginning so you can't tell. Thats what makes me think my muffler is jacked up.

(edit: it's actually closer to 2/3rds of the way through the video)

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...20015aacac.htm

Last edited by 00Z-28Maro; 08-24-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There deffinately is a break in period for mufflers, all the cars I have changed the mufflers on, the new ones get louder after a week or 2. IDK what it is... but they sure do change sound. Maybe the motor tuning for the diff flow?

When I put this flowmaster on it sounded just like my LT1 with the flowmaster did. Now it sounds much deeper and much more throaty.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=1998Z20what?]Alright When I Say Quiet, I Literally Mean The Thing Sounds Like The Car Has A Collapsed Lung, When Im Driving It You Can Barely Hear It, Even Going Through The Construction Where We Have Two Concrete Barriers One On Each Side Of The Road You Cannot Even Hear The Exhaust Echoing Or Nothing. I Dont Know How Else To Explain Quiet Using Words Other Then Its A Notch Louder Then Stock, Yes I Have Heard It At Wide Open Throttle Behind The Car While A Buddy Wot'd It, It Sounded Alright But Nothing To Be Intimidated By At All.

sorry your not happy. I would sell this to another member that wants a magnaflow catback. Hope you find what you are looking for. Mine seems very loud to me but I am running no cats also my car is a m6 so I cruise as loud as I want. I go through a toll both twice a day and it sounds loud as hell comming of the barrier.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1998Z20what?
ya i dont know i will wait another month and see if it changes, im really disappointed in them. in the last 4 years i have changed about 5 full exhaust systems and this is the worst crap i have ever seen/heard, i know flowmasters suck a$$ but i would rather have one of them stuck on there/ hell even a no name brand muffler then this heavy POS "race muffler" atleast then i wouldnt feel like i blew alot of money on something that is junk. and the car used to lose traction second gear, now it hooks all the way from take off thru every gear, so i guess that throws the whole "free flowing muffler" out the window as well.

thanks Magnaflow..
dude, youre being retarded. have you taken a look at your magnaflow muffler? do you know what straight through means? any power loss youre suffering is NOT coming from the magnaflow, its probably bc you went to the worst y pipe you could buy after having a dual setup.

you shoudlve put magnaflows on your duals, then youd have the sound you want. My car has the an excellent tone, with the perfect volume level.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has a h/c 02 Trans Am with kooks longtubes, catted y and the magnaflow catback. The car is extremely quiet. He bought a loudmouth for the car when it was new, and kept it on it until one month after he got the heads/cam installed. The car had a vicious sound with the loudmouth. It sounds almost stock now, exactly as the thread starter describes. But, that is what my friend was going for. He got tired of the loud and wanted a quieter ride.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Teching In

I love mine. Quiet at cruise and loud at WOT
Old 08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like mine alot as well. I have pacesetters, TD's all 2.5 inch tubing, with an H-pipe and 2 magnaflow magnapacks. It's real bassy at low rpms, kinda quiet in between, then screams at WOT. It's kinda raspy at WOT which I like.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want the muffler to be louder you can take it off and dump a quart of oil into it. This will burn all of the glass out of the muffler and make it louder....but you will have trails of smoke behind you for a week. I have done this before.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

How to breakin a glasspack muffler. In the old days we ran the car till it was hot then cut it off. Then we would stick a water hose in the exaust pipe and flooded out the muffler. When you cranked it again them little pieces of fiberglass would really come out. Believe me this **** works.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Does anyone know how the SLP muffler they put on Firehawks compare to the Magnaflow? At first I thought the SLP muff was quiet, but it's actually kinda loud, which I like. I had thought about going Magnaflow but I have gotten use to the SLP muff.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Does anyone know how the SLP muffler they put on Firehawks compare to the Magnaflow? At first I thought the SLP muff was quiet, but it's actually kinda loud, which I like. I had thought about going Magnaflow but I have gotten use to the SLP muff.
the magnaflow is probably a little bit louder, and it flows better for sure
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running a 6" round Magna flow it's on the quiet side of exhausts I've had. I ended up adding in a cutout if I feel the car needs to be a little louder. The magnaflow is great for trips and DD because you don't get any resonance in the car.

Scott
Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is loud as hell with pacesetters and ory, but I've got heads/cam. Must make a big difference.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 178 Likes on 116 Posts

I ran dual 3" cats, Xpipe, 3" out to (2) Magnaflow mufflers and it was anything but quiet. At WOT it sounded bad ***. heads/cam/LT headers 440rwhp thru the exhaust

If you took off the Xpipe with turn downs... why not simply get another Xpipe (ebay has cheap Magnaflow parts) and do a true 3" dual setup out the back?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly what magnaflow mufflers are you guys talking about? There's a few out there.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have a Magnaflow and it is great for me as I daily drive but when I want to make some noise or hit the track I just open the cut out.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned

It does goet louder, not much, but it's noticeable. I could smell the packing after it was new and I had driven it for a bit. About a month and it will be a bit louder.

Quick Reply: Breaking in a magnaflow muffler ?