Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust for a convertible with emissions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust for a convertible with emissions.

Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a '00 SS Convertible. Other than a Whisper lid and a K&N, it is stock (for now). It came from SLP with the SLP performance exhaust (step up from "standard" SS exhaust) which seems decent, although pretty tame.

The time has come to start the upgrades. I want to start with the exhaust system (since the current exhaust is too quiet). I would like to goto headers, x-over, duals the whole way. However, being in Northern VA, emissions is a must. Meaning I have to run cats, and have to have the exhaust come out the side or back. Personally, I would prefer the back.

I would love to get kooks (based upon posts on this board), but they are not taking orders. Considering SLPs, along with SLP's cats and Dr. Gas x-over. From there... I am stuck. I do not know anyone up in this area who can do mandrel bends, and I would prefer stainless steel. Since it is convertible, I also have to deal with the brace under the car, which seems to not be a huge issue.

Are there any convertible owners out there with systems like this? Or does anyone know who offers items such as tail pipes for this type setup? Or, anyone know benders in the DC area?

After this upgrade, I am planning brakes (stock ones suck) along with several other engine upgrades over the next few months.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Exhaust for a convertible with emissions.

Look at QTP headers. click on the right link -------->

The x-brace is a POS. Don't worry about getting rid of it. There are other options if you want some sort of side to side stiffening.

For DC area stuff join the EFA

http://www.easternfbody.com/easternfbody/

check out the forums for racing events, etc and places to post about NOVA exhaust shops, etc.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can wait...and its woth it, thew QTPs fit like a glove on my 99 vert. The x brace will not fit back on with some spacers/mods. A spohn loop will be stronger and also give you driveshaft coverage so go that route. Live with the stock while you wait for QTP's...thats the way I went and Im satisfied! very much so.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

If you want not so tame - go with GMMG.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the GMMG actually louder? How does it flow compared to others?
Old 05-29-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Louder and excellent flow.

visit: http://www.gmmginc.net/

They have clips.