Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which system
TD's
68.97%
CAT-BACK
31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

TD's or CAT-BACK?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD's or CAT-BACK?

Currently have pacesetter y and flowmaster cat back.
Looking to do either the TD or cat back

choice 1: TSP TD's with moroso spiral flows

or

choice 2: TSP Y-pipe into a QTP electric cut out with a hooker cat-back.

I plan on cammin it soon and i dont want it to be to loud. thats why im leaning towards the cat-back and electric cut out.

So whats your opinion?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're gonna cam it go ***** out! TDs
Old 09-01-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I voted TD's.. but I'm a nut case. I have nothing but flowmaster 1 chambers clamped to the headers with no X or H so its insanely loud and sounds sick.. lol. If you want it quieter get a catted Y and cat back. I'm not a fan of the ORY Y pipes with headers.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I voted TD's.. but I'm a nut case. I have nothing but flowmaster 1 chambers clamped to the headers with no X or H so its insanely loud and sounds sick.. lol. If you want it quieter get a catted Y and cat back. I'm not a fan of the ORY Y pipes with headers.
See thats the thing, no one really makes a good y-pipe. I would have to get a flowmaster merge and have one fabed up. I personally like it loud but my local law enforcement might frown upon it. I'm a man torn i tell ya.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I feel ya...I voted for the TD's...I have had both, and the TD's are better IMO...Only downside being, is that you lose some ground clearance...
The Duals are somewhat quiet during idle...And if you see a cop throw that bitch in neutral, or cruise it in 5th...Haha..
I agree with the whole Y pipe...Plus if you have a cut-out and if its not electric, you have to reach under there and take off the cap...Just a PITA...Plus the cut-out changes the exhaust tone even when the cap is closed...At least it did on mine with QTP's there off road Y and Hooker cat-back...Go with the duals and you won't be dissapointed...
QTP has a flowmaster merger on their Y's...

Kev
Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

A friend of mine had Pacesetters, ORY, and Flowmaster catback. He likes it louder than I can tolerate, but when he went to TD's (out the back), he couldn't take it. One day he called me and said it was giving him a brutal headache. Next thing you know, he had the Flowmaster back on and has been happy since.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
A friend of mine had Pacesetters, ORY, and Flowmaster catback. He likes it louder than I can tolerate, but when he went to TD's (out the back), he couldn't take it. One day he called me and said it was giving him a brutal headache. Next thing you know, he had the Flowmaster back on and has been happy since.
Hahah in my bomb of an 80 camaro I had a 350 .60 over big old mystery cam, etc.... I had duals into 1 chamber flowmasters. I had a bottle of excedrin sitting shotgun at all times. It made your brain hurt to drive the car for more than 45mins. My car now is faster,quieter and most importantly has paint!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
See thats the thing, no one really makes a good y-pipe.
I agree..

That is why I'll probably go with a Catted Kooks Y or get a custom Y with a flowmaster Merge for my car when I get tired of my current setup. I have a Kooks ORY that I was running with a a few different exhaust setups but my god it sounded like crap no matter what I did. I even put the stock exhaust back on for a day and that was the only way it sounded decent but it was also dead quiet too. So I just said forget it and put a 16" ext on each header and clamped the 1 chambers on each one. I'm thinking also of trying some long PowerSticks on there instead though to quiet it down a bit. we'll see.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

True duals don't HAVE to be loud as hell. You can get away with a quieter muffler without losing much (if any) power, since the exhaust gasses will be split in half going through two mufflers. I went from loud (duals with sweet thunders, duals with spiral flows, etc etc) to quiet (duals with Flowtech Raptors) and I didn't notice any power loss going to these quiet mufflers
Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

there's an obvious answer to this thread... TD's dominate...
Old 09-01-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

are u really asking this question??? isnt it obvious!?!?!? TRUE DUALS!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Duals for sure...if you've never had them before I suggest you give them a whirl. If your not crazy about having a super loud exhaust you could always swap out the spirals for a slightly quieter muffler too.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

TD's are Fn loud as it is add a cam and its crazy! I personally love the sound, but guys i know that have a TD set up are always saying how much they wished they had a set up like mine.. (catback, e-cutout) It just got old for them after a while. just my opinion, i have nothing against TD's i think they're awesome, but based on what youre saying about not wanting to be too loud i think that the catback/cutout would fit you better.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

so what would be a TD Muffler comparable to the loudness of a decent cat-back?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

I have TSP Duals with bullets...and good god is it loud but thats how i like it...cutout would be good choice, you can be loud whenever u want by switch of a button or manual cutout
Old 09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

eh, i dont like to have a really loud car. sometimes i need to be quiet to take girls out, go to peoples houses late, all that kinda stuff. so i went cat back
Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

I really want td's but is there a system where I dont have to drill holes in my floor and what would be the best mufflers for a deeper sound?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXws6
TD's are Fn loud as it is add a cam and its crazy! I personally love the sound, but guys i know that have a TD set up are always saying how much they wished they had a set up like mine.. (catback, e-cutout) It just got old for them after a while. just my opinion, i have nothing against TD's i think they're awesome, but based on what youre saying about not wanting to be too loud i think that the catback/cutout would fit you better.
Tell those guys to try quieter mufflers
Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cat backs are for bitches. True duals all the way
Old 09-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Teching In

TDs fa sho!! i went with the dynomax sounds like a BEAST...
bolts are hidden underneath back seats just make sure they are tucked up as high as you can