Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my hands on an LS6 intake from a Daytona Prototype engine program. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my hands on an LS6 intake from a Daytona Prototype engine program. Any good?

Well, I wasn't actually in the market to buy an LS6 intake manifold yet, but I was keeping my eye on the market for when the time came. I stumbled on one listed on ebay a couple of weeks ago with only a few hours left on the auction. The listing stated it had Wilson mods/porting. In the pics you could see the bottom had been cut off to allow for more internal mods. I hadn't really spotted one or even heard of this before so it did make me real curious. I looked into Wilson some (had heard of em before), spotted their website and realized they were a serious player to say the least. So, I asked the seller some questions, but still wasn't sure if I could trust the guy or not. I bid, and was the high bidder but still didn't meet the reserve. This worked in my favor as I continued dealing with the guy and it gave me more time to investigate. I wound up speaking with a tech guy with Wilson. We covered some of my plans for my combo, as well as me just asking about these intakes. Turns out they did a bunch of them to satisfy Daytona Prototype race teams. Wilson confirmed not only what the seller was claiming, but also added that these had sold for between $1000 to $1500 depending on the level of epoxy work done, etc. I indicated I could get this one I knew of for under 500 bucks I felt and the Wilson tech before hardly letting me finish my sentence said buy it. So, I got the seller to let me have it for $450. The class rules restricted the LS engined cars to 305 ci, LS6 heads/intake, a stock throttle body, 11 to 1 compression, and a max of .590 lift. I forget a couple of the other engine specifics I came across. According to Wilson, and the seller these engines tended to be in the 500 to 540 hp area. With the seller stating my intake had been used in their DP engine developement program and had seen both dyno time on more than one engine and track time. He claimed they'd tend to see around 500 hp with a stock LS6 intake/TB. Then around 520 ish with this intake but a stock TB. And with a ported TB it would jump to 540 ish. He stressed the engine and intake wanting more TB size. Wilson did as well. I wanted a more stock look under the hood and I didn't have the bucks to spend on a FAST intake. So, after looking into it and today receiving the intake I'm fairly happy and real curious to see what it has to offer. In a few months when things cool down out here I'll run the car as is, and then switch intakes to see how a stock engine responds. I'm not expecting much over what a simple swap to a stock LS6 intake would yeild. However, I have similar plans for my engine as coincidently what the DP class rules restricted those engines to. So, pretty happy. Kinda wondering if I scored a pretty good little speed part or not.

Anybody have any additional knowledge or experience with these pre-fast intake modified LS6 goodies????

Now that I've received it, I'll call Wilson again to see if I can get a better idea of just what all has been done to mine. It shows an ever so slight enlarging and blending of the runners exiting into the heads. Slight basic enlarging and smoothing right behind the TB opening. And internally I can see alot of rounding and smoothing with some epoxy work where the individual runner openings start in the plenum. Wish I had a stock one to stare at. Or even a good pic looking from the TB end into the plenum area just to compare to.

So, this Wilson modified Ex Daytona Prototype intake any good? Oh, and it turns out the seller who is somewhat new to ebay is actually Fischer Engines/Engineering and they have been supplying engines to many different racing teams in various classes for many years. So they seem very credible at this point as well.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Tomorrow I'll see if I can take any additional pics worth while.

Heres from the ebay listing page:

Don't show much..........

Just your basic LS6 intake manifold. Or so it would seem at first glance.

Last edited by TuffSS; 09-27-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Anybody have any experience/knowledge of these intakes from LS powered cars in the Daytona Prototype class?

Is this cutting the bottom off to allow access anything special or really just basic standard stuff on these?

Who else has a good reputation with porting the LS6 intake manifolds????

Thanks for any info/help/input............

Quick Reply: Got my hands on an LS6 intake from a Daytona Prototype engine program. Any good?