Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Does my Car feel slower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default colder air

Originally Posted by ae13291
well my car (mostly in cold weather) feels slower some days and feels faster some other days! i have the slp timing advance and that is higher risk for detnation so i think i get retard timing someties and my car feels slower! so 4 u since u have a 98 i think u have the real false knock sensor problem!! get it fixed!! get power!!!
colder air is more dense and can lead to detonation due to higher dynamic compression ratio (volumetric efficiency increase). add that to your timing advance and that may explain poorer performance in colder air.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Where did you get your "3lb on the wheels = 12lbs in the car"?

is that something you've made up, heard somewhere, or actually DID the math on?

EDIT- and you can't actually do math on that unless you know where the weight was added. Was it added in the tires, far away from the point of rotation, or in the spokes, closer to point of rotation? Tire weight would have a lot more impact on rotational mass than wheel weight.
Sorry I was off by a little, Still the added 12lbs of unsprung weight ARE NOT SLOWING ME DOWN 10MPH, thanks.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel13.shtml
Old 10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

put it back the way it was!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 AM
TECH Regular

ditch the rims
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
A leaking AIR block off plate would allow false air to get into the exhaust before the O2 sensors and could cause a problem there.
Car runs in open loop at WOT and doesn't give a bakers f$%k what the O2's have to say about it.

Maybe it's the weather/clutch slipping/tires spinning/plugs fouled/etc. I'd run it back to back at a DRAG STRIP with both sets of wheels/tires or put it on a dyno. Cars do feel slower after you drive them. If you're not super-confident in your "trap" speeds, I'd contribute it to that.

I remember buying my car stock and thinking "this is the fastest thing ever". Then I put the cam/boltons on and was scared shitless thinking "nothing could be faster than this". Now I have a 530+rwhp 408 stroker and I want to yawn when I mash the throttle.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

No possible way your getting oil ON your clutch? Had a nissan beater with a leaky everything and the shudder on a NEW clutch and slip at WOT was retarded. Oil and clutches don't mix.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Launching!

I dunno what it is right now, First i'm putting my stock rims back on because the 2 rear rims are bent a little bit, then i'll see where to go from there.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Got my stock wheels back on the car, it still feels slow but not as much, I think i just hit some bad luck and my clutch went at the same time.