Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LTs bang like hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LTs bang like hell

Have any of ya'll bitching about header clearance on LS1 F-cars ever put headers on anything before?? Holy crap, these sorts of issues are the calling card for virtually ALL headers for virtually ALL V8 applications!! Let's add a couple more:

1) Exhaust leaks
2) Hard to change spark plugs

Every single car I have ever worked on with headers has exhibited one or more of these problems. That's the way it goes. That's why the factory doesn't install headers. Modifying your car is just that- modifying your car.

Tell ya what... if you want headers that don't bang on the body, rub the steering/suspension linkage, or scrape the ground, just go old school and run some zoomies through the hood...
Old 06-13-2003, 11:35 AM

Actually, I have. I've used "premades",and customs. There have been a few of the typical run-ins, but nothing like what these guys are stating. It comes down to quality control,and how good the jig is at the header manufacturer. They cut alot of corners, for speed of production. I think the fact that the pricing level that these headers run, considering that they aren't anything all that revolutionary from the old stuff, adds fuel to the fire.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"It comes down to quality control"

Yeah, tell that to GM.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just buy pacesetters! for the price who would care?
Old 06-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I haven't been to this board in a while. The reason I only put on the drivers side... I read some were, that was all that was needed. It seems to make sense. Have someone sit in your car with the hood up and "brake torque" it. You will see the driver side lift up a few inches. That's why I only put in that one. It also leave one of the soft stock mounts to absorb some of the vibration.
Hope you get it fixed...
Old 06-14-2003, 07:45 PM
SB
On The Tree

I have the flp w/orp AND my car is lowered with the eibach pro spring set so what the guy did who put the headers on was weld a 941 valve spring between the ypipe and floorboard and now no more false knock or banging of any kind.

Before that I tried everything including a strap and new bushings and nothing helped. You definitely should get better fit for that kind of money.

steve
Old 06-16-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey Burn Out:
If differences in GM production runs were responsible for banging after market headers, then I would expect that the stock exhaust would bang right our of the factory too....

...since they do not, I assume that the quality control with the after market header manufacturers is the problem...

Hey look, I respect your view but this seems like a dumb conclusion on your part....

If buyers, expect poor fitting parts, and do not complain, they will continue to get poor fitting parts, high prices, bad service and all the rest....

A $1,300 pair of headers should fit and should not have ANY issues... PERIOD

MY SUGGESTION TO ANYONE CONSIDERING FLP HEADERS: Go to another source; these are total junk!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 03:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

well as far as all headers doing this...maybe on the ls1 and newer cars...I have the macs w/off road y-pipe...and I have banging issues too...but its just with the y-pipe as far as I can tell...but I have a 71 chevelle...and I never had any problems with those headers...sparks plugs took just as long.....and on the ls1 going to headers actually made it a little bit easier to change the plugs...
Old 06-17-2003, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Well my banging is only the Y-pipe/cats too.

I suspect, however, that the headers are the problem. This could ocur since the headers are too short which causes the Y-pipe to be too close to the floor boards...

In other words, the Y-Pipe bangs the floor boards becasue the header/collector is not long enough to allow the y-pipe and cats to hang at a piont that does not casue interference with the florrboards...
Old 06-17-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

robert,
if you want the headers away from the floorpan as much as possible then get the SLP's. Just don't plan on lowering the car. As I and others have noted before, there is a finite amount of space between the floorpan and the ground (obivously less if your car is lowered). The header collectors and Y-pipe HAVE to live in this space. The reason that the stock Y-pipe doesn't bang is because its flattened on the driver's side for additional clearance. This would be a nice aftermarket solution for some additional clearance. Dr. Gas and Burns both offer "crushed" clearance pipe sections that could be fabricated into a custom Y-pipe.

So my point isn't that there couldn't be a better header/Y-pipe manufactured, but instead that there are very real design constraints that we have to live with on these cars. Doing the research ahead of time cannot be overemphasized IMO, especially with something like LT's.