Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ooops!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Ooops!!!

Well, i did my rear cover seal and rear main seal and that took care of that problem. Now, i think that it is my oil pan that is leaking. I went to retighten the two bolts that its coming from and i popped the top of the bolt hole. I hope i didnt crack anything else. If it did crack more of the block, would it be gushing oil after you start it up?? I hope i didnt f@*k anything up...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got my oil pan gasket today and ill be doing this soon. Its not leaking too bad anymore but its gotta get done. Im gonna replace my oring in the oil pump as well cuz my oil pressure has been acting funny for a while now and is steadily decreasing. I used a bosch oil filter on my last oil change and it seemed to have dropped it a few psi. Gonna try the KN or mobil1 next.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are referring to the oil pan bolts, then I don't believe they are even close to strong enough to crack the block. I've only seen instances of the bolts themselves breaking. I personally didn't even torque to spec, just hand tightened each one.

As a reference, when I first fired the car up after my cam install, I had tightened them, but the rear ones loosened from the alternating torque pattern. Lost almost ALL of my oil and I am damn lucky that I pulled out of the garage when I did, no more than 10 more seconds and it would have spelt the end of my motor's life If the leak is drastic you WILL know about it. Little seepage wouldn't be as noticeable.

-J
Old 11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The threads didnt crack but only the top of the bolt hole popped off. I should hold me over till i can get to it. I know that doing this wont be easy, with having to drop the kmember and stuff.