Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header Install

Well I've about completed my header install. Went really good for the most part. Having difficulties with the y-pipe (AHR) fitting into the catback (gmmg). It seems as the catback pipe has a lip around the inside of the pipe that probably should be grinded off, to allow clearance..?

I started it up for idle and a few revs with just headers and y (with cats) on. Sounds mean as hell.

A couple questions.

1. Quite a bit of smoke coming out of the engine bay. Don't think there are any exhaust leaks, probably some oil coating burning off the headers?

2. I deleted EGR and AIR. No CEL, but a SES light. Does that seem right?

Questions, comments, concerns are appreciated
Old 11-25-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your light will be on since you took the emission stuff off.the smoke is probably just from handling the headers with greasy hands.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
Well I've about completed my header install. Went really good for the most part. Having difficulties with the y-pipe (AHR) fitting into the catback (gmmg). It seems as the catback pipe has a lip around the inside of the pipe that probably should be grinded off, to allow clearance..?

I started it up for idle and a few revs with just headers and y (with cats) on. Sounds mean as hell.

A couple questions.

1. Quite a bit of smoke coming out of the engine bay. Don't think there are any exhaust leaks, probably some oil coating burning off the headers?

2. I deleted EGR and AIR. No CEL, but a SES light. Does that seem right?

Questions, comments, concerns are appreciated
prob something you disconnected and didnt go back on right. my bet an 02 sensor damaged or disconnected. smokes everytime with a header install for a bit.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

If your headers are coated then some of that burns off when you heat it up for the first time. You should just throw a SES light once it figures out everything isn't there (rear o2's and emission parts) Took mine a little bit to kick on.