Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks banging

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
HERE IS MY 2c.....is it your cats banging---I had to put cats on for awhile....it was the cats--not the y-pipe...
I'm going to a custom exhaust shop tommorow! Don't know if its the cats! the y pipe is big! This is my last mod!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

I went to the shop today they made some mods to the y pipe its still hittting slightly, but I do need motor mounts. I'll do the motor mounts now
Old 12-04-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Jamming rubber hose onto the y pipe and getting the bump stop hanger are just bandaids and at that point you are are basically using the exhaust to dampen the engines movement which is the job that the motor and tranny mounts should be doing... The better way to do it would be install Poly motor mounts... its not that the stock mounts are broken its that they are insanely soft and allow the engine to move all over the place. Poly's still dampen the engine vibration but don't allow it to jump all over the place.
good advice. you're going from a small crushed y pipe to a 3 in y pipe. plus you want good ground clearance so you won't scrape the ground. well now you have a lot less room between the y pipe and the floorboard. all of that adds up to the y pipe banging the floorboard when the engines moves with the stock motor mounts. poly or solid motor mounts will solve the banging.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Poly mounts here and still banging heater hose mod has worked fine in the meantime. I am going to take it to a exhaust shop in the spring to see what they can do
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 wife
I went to the shop today they made some mods to the y pipe its still hittting slightly, but I do need motor mounts. I'll do the motor mounts now
You shouldn't need mounts, work the adjustments and you will solve it. BTW, I glued a small hard rubber piece (shock mount cut in half) to the small brace on the floorboard wher it was hitting and it worked great, took all of 10 minutes to glue on with weatherstrip adhesive.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MJE95GAGT
Poly mounts here and still banging heater hose mod has worked fine in the meantime. I am going to take it to a exhaust shop in the spring to see what they can do
You still have banging after the poly mounts?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaddySS
You shouldn't need mounts, work the adjustments and you will solve it. BTW, I glued a small hard rubber piece (shock mount cut in half) to the small brace on the floorboard wher it was hitting and it worked great, took all of 10 minutes to glue on with weatherstrip adhesive.
My y pipe is hitting the floor it is not as bad as it was, but it is unacceptable for the money the kooks cost and the price Livernois motoersports charged to install it!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02 wife
You still have banging after the poly mounts?
Yea, but with the heater hose stuffed in there it is just a slight vibration at certain RPMs. Its not that bad but it is a little ghetto and it is frustrating to spend that much and still have this issue. It is fine on the driver's side where a lot of people experience the banging. It is only hitting on the passenger side of the driveshaft tunnel. I have tried to pry it away which has helped marginally but without the heater hose it still rests along the side of the tunnel.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the TA Pics in my sig. I'm running Kooks with high flow cats and never had any banging. Clearance pictures are there as well. Banging should not happen if they are installed correctly. Good luck. I know when mods go bad frustration levels run high. I do run stock motor mounts also.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

There is room underneth. It might be my motor mounts! I would have changed them if I had been told that they might bang! Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Kooks banging