Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the Volant CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have the Volant CAI

Does anyone have the Volant CAI for an ls1, have any problems with hood clearance? Good gains? Match the gains of a SLP CAI Kit?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

I have one. It has weather stripping that goes around the air box. On my car that does hit the hood so it should be sealed along there. I also believe that my hood at one point was not adjusted right and it hit one of the filters, but I had seen a lot of people with this on there with no issues at all.
I like the way it looks when you pop the hood, and it makes a healthy growl. As far as real numbers go I am not sure at all.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM

thanks a bunch, hopefully someone can post up some numbers or at least a comparison with the SLP CAI
Old 12-02-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lid and SSRA/sealed hood depending on what kinda car you have has been proven time and time again to be jsut as good if not better and cheaper.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Search feature is your friend. There's gotta be a dozen threads asking these same questions.

But... One more time: 1) The Volant was designed to fit the non-Ram Air hoods. If you want it to seal to a Ram Air hood, you need to fit some foam tubing around the box's original rubber seal. 2) There's really no diffinitive testing results comparing a Volant to a lid. What little bit of testing that has been done indicates that the Volant works just as good as a lid. If the Volant works better than a lid, it's nominal at best. The only real difference between the two is the looks.

Marc
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I have a ram air hood and it fits just fine.... I had no need for foam tubing. I believe it actually would work better with a ram air hood that is debaffled.... seeing as how the dual cones on this kit are pointed in a "V" shape- making them align perfectly with the debaffled nostrils on the hood. Yes they will get dirty more frequently being exposed like this; but they are air filters and air filters are meant to get dirty... plus that's what you have a cleaning kit for. This is my set up and it sounds great! Good gains... never had the SLP CAI kit so I can't offer a comparison, but I did dyno at 322hp/322 tq with only the Volant kit and an x-pipe setup. Plus I think it looks nice and people usually comment on it during car meets.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone have information or data on whether or not it actually keeps cooler air going into the engine? I can't imagine that it would be better at forcing air better than a lid but I've wondered how good a job it does at feeding outside air into the motor.