Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - New Project

Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Member - New Project

I'm in the middle of upgrades to my 02 SS, and after finding this site, I think I have broken the rule of do research before buying, but no major mistakes so far. More on this in a minute.

So I have a 67 SS (clone) Convertible that I restored a few years ago with a whole lot of help from Camaro.net. I bought a 35th anniversary coupe in 2001; 6 speed, center mount exhaust that currently has about 30K miles, that I wanted to do some upgrades to. Frankly I just wanted to turn some wrenches again. My goal is to take it on the 2008 Hot Rod Power tour, and just didn't want to leave it stock. It is a couple day a week driver, except winter, and it never goes to the strip. I need to retain good mid range power.

I started with a plan of "more show" and a little "more go"...but as you guys know, once you start tearing things apart, I keep adding things I want to do to the list. So I wanted to pass on what is currently in work, what is in consideration, and let you chime in with comments and advice. I started with a couple books on the LS1, including the recent "Dyno-Proven GM LS1 - Ls7 Performance Parts"

Have installed Eibach lowering springs and changed wheels to Dale E Jr. Killers with black spokes, chrome rim (never liked the anniversary wheels). 18"ers 8" in front, 10" in back.

Had an SLP lid. Adding Granatelli MAF, FAST 78 TB (I know...) FAST 78 intake (I know....), FAST fuel rails, Nasty Performance billet VCs, Nasty billet coil brackets, MSD Coils (I know.....), and chrome shorty headers (I know....) and I did the LS6 valley cover mod. I added the "I knows" on things now that probably aren't buying me much besides looks.

So now I have been studying cams, heads, valvetrains etc. Going back to the book mentioned above, a Comp XR265HR looked pretty good....212/218 114 good for maybe 30 hp looked good.....but this is just a baby on this site. Got vectored to the TR 224....and that looked real good. And finally, I am thinking the AFR 205 heads look good.

I need to figure out getting picture on the site....and I'll keep you posted. And thanks for any help in advance. Hope I can return the favor.

Mark M.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is only one suggestion I'd make aside from not wasting your money on the Granatelli MAF, since you are building a mild set-up you can get heads for far cheaper that flow almost as good as the AFRs. I'd look into Patriots for nearly 1/2 the price if I were you.

Have you bought the headers yet, or are you going to.

Re'
Old 12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Headers are already bought and on the car. And already have the MAF also. Good suggestion on the heads.

Mark M.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

if you have money for the afrs, go for it and slap a little bigger cam to compliment them. if you plan on sticking with the 224 then look into cheaper heads.

Search this Thread