Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De screening MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I descreened my 2000 Z28 back when this was one of "the" mods to do. Back when an LS6 or MTI cam was about the biggest thing you could do, and LS1.com was the about the only place to go for mods or advice. Later of course when ls1tech.com was created we moved over here lol. I noticed nothing at the track or in the seat of my pants. The only thing I noticed is when I cammed my Z28 with the TR224 cam the tuning was a bitch because the tables were all over the place. Put a screened one in took 1/4 of the time to tune. And I saw better gains on the dyno. I tried it again with my 99 C5 (heads and cam and bolt ons). Same results. I didn't even bother with my Procharged 2000 C5.

I by far am not freaked. If anyone has it has been you when someone disagree's with you. He asked a question I thought I gave him a honest answer. I did it before I went cammed then spent more money trying to tune for it and ended up buying ones with the screens, so that free mod cost more money to fix later. I even ported a few for others who wanted them made me someomoney to do it. You want to do it. Go for it. Its not hard and 80% of the people who do it have no issues with it. Tuning has come a long way since and the tables are much easier to dial in since LS1Edit came about. Don't get defensive because someone disagree's with you from what they have actually experianced. Might as well do the TB mod, EGR mod, AIR mod and the grinding of the TB and MAF mods as well. Hell go all out and do what I did. A speed density tune and get rid of the MAF all together. Just because its something can be done, does not mean you HAVE to do it. Its your choice do what you want.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you think u need to do it buy the ported ends. If you decide to go back to screened you can then instead of looking for another MAF. I did it on 2 different f-bodys and honestly i couldnt see any difference. I just figured since SLP recommends leaving it in, and it came with one factory, then leave it there. If you think u need more AIR FLOW upgrade to like a 85mm aftermarket MAF.