Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle stuck open!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle stuck open!!

Alright.. Here is the issue.. When installing my headers a couple months back, I unbolted my cruise control unit to get the cables and unit outta the way. Since the install I have had a high idle problem. It started with just idleing a lil over what it was supposed to. Took manual control w/ Flashscan and it was idleing 200rpm whatever input i commmanded. Let off the gas while cruising and it hangs at a grand. I have to keep my foot on the brakes in 30mph zones to keep the car from climbing. Now, its worse. No matter what I command in efi live it still goes above. It will be fine when I first start the car, but as soon as the I drive just a lil, it hangs up. When I put the car in park it shoots to 1,500 RPM!!!! I had to take out the "high Idle code" for the time being, because I got sick of reseting the ECM every three start ups. This is what I have discovered. Looking at the cylinder that all the cables are hooked up to "cruise, throttle, TC "ithink", the cylinder is keeping tension on the throttle cable keeping the TB open. If i manually nudge the cylinder counter clock, the throttle closes and idles perfect. The cruise has never worked since I bought the car. I don't care to have it. Can I bypass the cruise and TC? Is there a cable out there for non cruise/ non TC 5.7s? I have adjusted the cables around a million times, doesnt help. The cylinder keeps hanging up... What should I do?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the adjustment is off on the traction control lines.

There are two adjusters, one going to the traction control box from the gas peddle, and another going from the traction control unit to the trottle body.

Open the clips on the and that should release the tension on the throttle body, allowing it to close, then push the clamp back down.

That should fix your problems.

I would think that with 4 billion posts, you'd know that..... (obviously someone has hacked into the thread counter system)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Teching In

What? I have made 4 billion post. I was just testing your knowledge, lol. No seriously, i have no clue how the f#$k that happened.

As far as my "issue".. I have attempted to release the tension doing what u said, a few times. Works in park, when I start driving it gets hung up again somewhere somehow. I will try again today since it is above freezing and I have the patience to mess with it.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can do what you stated in your question. Just buy a throttle cable for a nonT/C car. THey are like $40 from the dealer. There is a possibility the cable got too close to the headers and melted a little. Is the cruise cable binding?

Re'
Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Gee Mr. Obvious.. Well, its fixed.. After all the trouble I had tryin to fix this issue. It came down to the fact I routed all the cables behind the trans dip stick tube, which was causing some tension on one of the cables in turn keeping the throttle open. $0 fix. Take hands, grab cables, move in front of dipstick, throttle closes..

One would think after running your own shop, building engines, fabricating parts etc etc, that a simple problem like this would be easy to solve. There is one thing I have learned. I always expect the worse, which leads me to overlook the easy fixes.. Thanks for letting me take a minute of your life that u will never get back