Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp full exhaust vs system made of different components

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp full exhaust vs system made of different components

i am getting ready to put a full exhaust system on my 98 ls1 trans am is it worth the cost difference to have the full slp complete system or should i miss match and save a little money
Old 12-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Restricted User

I say mix'n'match. I have pacesetter LT's ORY, a magnaflow catback and a QTP electric cutout in there. Mix and match to whatever you want it to sound like. Cost won't make that much of a difference unless you're talking about kooks headers and a gmmg catback. Then we're getting into some money! my setup cost me a little over 1K. Don't worry about matching everything up bro.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

QTP headers w/ high velocity merge collectors, QTP high flow catted Y pipe, and GMMG exhaust. Best thing I have heard on an F-body.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=100_0990.flv

Old 12-27-2007, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

QTP headers, TSP y-pipe and SLP Loudmouth...Its loud...
Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

mix and match, imo you will get a better sound and you will be saving a lot of money
Old 12-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mix and match can cost you more money, or it could cost you less than SLP. SLP's current headers are shitty in terms of power production and fitment, so I'd stay away from them for the time being...there were rumors of them changing their design not too long ago, but have seen nothing of it yet.

Being that you live in Georgia, having stainless headers isn't as much of a necessity as it is if you live up here in the great white north. That will save you a lot of money right there.

I gave up trying to go with components from the same company long ago...you'll end up with a better overall package if you source parts from different places.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have headers yet? If so, I would be VERY picky with the design of the Y pipe. You want a smooth merge, not just two pipes slamming together like most of the production Y pipes out there. I designed my own Y pipe, but it looks like ARH had the same idea and have a very nice designed Y pipe in my opinion. If just looking for a catback, then pick the system you like and purchase the complete catback and worry about the headers and Y pipe at a later date. Most of the popular catbacks are pretty close to the same in power production. I chose Hooker over Magnaflow strictly because I felt the Magnaflow tips wouldn't look good on a TA and liked the looks of the Hooker. I love my Hooker! I don't pay for the sex, I pay her to shut up and leave! OOPS, got off topic!

Galen
Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Im running the slp from front to back, I like it but, I think in reality I should have saved some money and mixed n matched. Dont get me wrong I love the exhaust and wouldnt change it for the world. Its really loud though, I mean really loud. I have gotten alot of compliments and alot of unwanted attention from the police to.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Mix and match can cost you more money, or it could cost you less than SLP. SLP's current headers are shitty in terms of power production and fitment, so I'd stay away from them for the time being...there were rumors of them changing their design not too long ago, but have seen nothing of it yet.

Being that you live in Georgia, having stainless headers isn't as much of a necessity as it is if you live up here in the great white north. That will save you a lot of money right there.

I gave up trying to go with components from the same company long ago...you'll end up with a better overall package if you source parts from different places.
I have to disagree about SLP headers not making power. My number are in the sig. Here is a link of the my dyno graphs. And it is a before and after my install of SLP header and ORY. I posted these up a while back. I don't think their is a lack of power gain do you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...106&highlight=