Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Header questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation More Header questions

Hey everyone! I got 1,000 bucks for christmas to spend how ever i want Sooo i got a few questions, i have a 99 ss camaro. i wanna put headers and high flow cats on it and i'll have my exhaust guy custom make me a 3 inch y-pipe. sound good? but is there a big difference between long tube headers and shorties? if so, what are they?? any answers or help would be great and another question... where can i find the o2 sensor extensions?
Thanks everyone!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

I think you should make sure you want to sink all your money into LTs. If you do, I'd think about a set of Kooks and or ARHs. If you save another couple hundred bucks, you could afford their catd' Y-pipes and not have to worry about an exhaust shop fab' up a Y-pipe that may end-up banging and have power-robbing crumps. Also, these can be obtained in stainless steel which will be better than mild steel your exhaust guy might bend up for you. Also, you won't have to worry about finding cats' that fit since they will already be on the Y-pipe. There is a chance of banging, even with the Ys from these companies, but it's not too likely.

There is a difference in shorties and long tubes. You won't get much of a gain in sound or power with shorties. They are easier to install and most come with CARB approval. You can also reuse your stock Y-pipe and cats' if you want. Hooker, JBL, Pacesetter, and BBK all make shorties, but I don't believe BBK ever obtained CARB certification. IMHO, I don't know that I would "waste" money on shorties and find something else to spend the money on.

LTs will give you more sound and power. You can be limited by smog laws depending on where you live, but if you only have safety inspections, I believe you can run them as long as you have cats'. You should consider a tune with LTs too, which could be another $300-$500.

You can find 02 extensions from any of the sponsors here on the site. You'll just have to determine the length you need. Some of the LT companies include extensions with their LTs, so make sure of that before going out and finding a pair.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could also go with some headers that wont break the bank. ceramic coated pacesetters are around $375 and can last as long as you dont drive in the snow or on roads with salt. xs headers are just a little more ($450 i think) and are stainless. then you could get a ypipe made up with high flow cats and have money left for other stuff.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spend the money and get some quality headers like QTP. They are made from 304 Stainless Steel and do not require and coating. The QTP's were the easiest to install compared to Hooker or SLP.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

pacesetters will rust if you dont even drive the car, and it just sits in the garage,,dont waste your money or time....go stainless, do it right, do it once.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

with $1,000 bucks u can look into the top of the line headers like kooks, QTP!! but also consider pacesetter headers. pacesetters arent stainless steel, and yes they will rust eventually, but they are the best bang for the buck. i also could have gone with kooks, or qtp, but i went ahead and got the pacesetters. it cost me just under 600 bucks to my door.. and i still had money left over for other parts.

i know ill get flamed for this, but alot of people rag on the ceramic coated headers cuz they rust. and they say go with the stainless expensive headers..but ive looked on the used section at some headers, and some of those stainless headers look like **** too!!

my pacesetters have performed well for me. they have waken up my car big time and my car pulls hard all the way up the rpm range. im glad i went with them. eventually they will rust, but oh well..my car isnt a show car!!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by radz282003
I think you should make sure you want to sink all your money into LTs. If you do, I'd think about a set of Kooks and or ARHs. If you save another couple hundred bucks, you could afford their catd' Y-pipes and not have to worry about an exhaust shop fab' up a Y-pipe that may end-up banging and have power-robbing crumps. Also, these can be obtained in stainless steel which will be better than mild steel your exhaust guy might bend up for you. Also, you won't have to worry about finding cats' that fit since they will already be on the Y-pipe. There is a chance of banging, even with the Ys from these companies, but it's not too likely.

There is a difference in shorties and long tubes. You won't get much of a gain in sound or power with shorties. They are easier to install and most come with CARB approval. You can also reuse your stock Y-pipe and cats' if you want. Hooker, JBL, Pacesetter, and BBK all make shorties, but I don't believe BBK ever obtained CARB certification. IMHO, I don't know that I would "waste" money on shorties and find something else to spend the money on.

LTs will give you more sound and power. You can be limited by smog laws depending on where you live, but if you only have safety inspections, I believe you can run them as long as you have cats'. You should consider a tune with LTs too, which could be another $300-$500.

You can find 02 extensions from any of the sponsors here on the site. You'll just have to determine the length you need. Some of the LT companies include extensions with their LTs, so make sure of that before going out and finding a pair.

Good luck.
Thanks dude. big help bro!