Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car piston swap???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In car piston swap???

Ok so I got in a friendly argument with a guy about changing piston and rods while the engine is in the car. This guy got wind that I was thinking about forging the bottom end in the TA. So I tell him yeah I am thinking about putting some stronger internals in since I want to run more boost through the engine, But I explain to him that I am trying to do it on a graduate school students budget and time and I dont want to take out the engine, take it apart and have it machined. I told him if I am going to do all that i will just get a 408 and put in when I am done with school. He tells me that I could just pull the pistons and rods and hone the cylinder walls will the engine is still in the car. I just need to take the heads and pan off. I was like how would you get your rings to seal right, and how if you did some honing how could you ensure that all the metal was out of the engine.

I dont proclaim to be a expert engine builder I have done a couple ford 351's and I have never heard of this on a performance engine.
Could this guy be right??
Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does he driver a ricer, because he obviously doesn't have a clue. How the hell would he expect someone to put in a forged bottom end with the damn crank still bolted to the tranny? Ask him that question and see what his answer is?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you only did the pistons and rods with the motor in it could be done. Is it ideal absolutely not. It would most likely not be any faster then pulling it to do and like you said you have to worry about the shavings from honing it. if you were running a used car lot doing it with the motor in would be the way to go.