Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust problems

Old 01-12-2008, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust problems

I just finished a duel exhaust swap with pacesetter mid length headers on my 02 Z28, but i have run into a problem. The car is running really rich, about as rich as possible. Does the air system which is still hooked up have any factor in this. I know i might have an O2 sensor out but i havent ever seen a car run this poorly with one out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your emissions stuff wont effect it that much if any. you need both 02 sensors in it and they need to be working
Old 01-16-2008, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

ok both o2 sensors work but the car still runs really rich. im almost out of ideas.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

AIR SYSTEM will not make much diff. if any....need good 02's though..check out BOSCH 13111 REAR VETTE 02's.....wider heat range....mine also ran rich for 100-150 miles, until the computer learned...then I got a Vinci/Crane Tuner.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you checking it with a wideband or do you think it's rich because it smells? If you don''t have cats it will smell even if the air fuel ratio is correct. And in case your not aware, your setup will require tuning to get your AFR where it should be.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

you can tell its rich by the way its running which is a black smoke from the pipe which wasnt there. now i do have a check engine light. if putting in headers changes the way the o2 sensor reads and eventually the computer will catchup than that maybe the problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bucksbadz
you can tell its rich by the way its running which is a black smoke from the pipe which wasnt there. now i do have a check engine light. if putting in headers changes the way the o2 sensor reads and eventually the computer will catchup than that maybe the problem.
The computer can only "catch up" a limited amount. You have short term and long term fuel trims that will adjust but they can only go so far with the factory tune before it realizes the amount it needs to adjust itself is out of it's allowable range and then it panics and throws the SES light. It cannot compensate for your setup by itself. You may have another problem but it will need computer tuning to run right. I hate to be the one to have to tell you but if you keep running it as is it will destroy the 02's rather quickly and then a little more slowely the engine itself.

Search this Thread