Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside of car smells like exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inside of car smells like exhaust.

Any idea why the inside of my car smells like exhaust? When I turn on the vents it gets worse like it comes through the vents too. My clothes smell like exhaust, and I can even taste exhaust when I get out of the car. It's horrible, I have to keep the windows rolled down and freeze my *** off. This has been a problem for a long time, but it's time to do something about it. Any suggestions? Any idea where the smell is coming from? How is it getting in the vents?
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have cats?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Do you have cats?
Nope. Headers go directly to y-pipe.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Crunch
Nope. Headers go directly to y-pipe.
Could be a header leak... thats coming through your vents from under the hood. try tightening the bolts (careful not to break them) and check to see if it leaks in the engine bay.. if not check the headers to Y connection to see if theyre tight. put your hand over the connection to try and feel air coming out.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Also are you dumped or out the back?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

Without cats your car will always smell like gas...they do after all do something This is the most compelling reason in my mind to always run cats...and why all our cars have them.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28voodoo
Could be a header leak... thats coming through your vents from under the hood. try tightening the bolts (careful not to break them) and check to see if it leaks in the engine bay.. if not check the headers to Y connection to see if theyre tight. put your hand over the connection to try and feel air coming out.
We'll have to check that out. I can tell you I had the same problem with SLP headers without cats and the stock engine, SLP headers without cats and a rebuilt stock engine, and now an iron block engine and Jet-Hot headers. The problem follows me no matter what headers or engine I have in the car.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Without cats your car will always smell like gas...they do after all do something This is the most compelling reason in my mind to always run cats...and why all our cars have them.
It doesn't smell like gasoline, it smells like car exhaust. Like the tailpipe routes to back to the heating/ac vents.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00Formula00
Also are you dumped or out the back?
Cut-out in the back. No dumps. However I did have the same problem when I had dumps years ago.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

Same thing in my mind. I have never been in a catless car that did not have an exhaust smell inside.

It doesn't smell like gasoline, it smells like car exhaust. Like the tailpipe routes to back to the heating/ac vents.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same thing in my mind. I have never been in a catless car that did not have an exhaust smell inside.
So I take it your advice is to order a shorter y-pipe and throw high-flow cats in?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Any idea why the inside of my car smells like exhaust? When I turn on the vents it gets worse like it comes through the vents too. My clothes smell like exhaust, and I can even taste exhaust when I get out of the car. It's horrible, I have to keep the windows rolled down and freeze my *** off. This has been a problem for a long time, but it's time to do something about it. Any suggestions? Any idea where the smell is coming from? How is it getting in the vents?
Thanks.

i know exactly how u feel lmao
Old 01-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Banned

So I take it your advice is to order a shorter y-pipe and throw high-flow cats in?
Yeah...not sure what headers you have..but you could likely take an off road Y and have some magnaflow cats welded on it.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah...not sure what headers you have..but you could likely take an off road Y and have some magnaflow cats welded on it.
OK. Wow, I never knew that cats somehow keep the exhaust-like smell from creeping up into the chassis and air vents. Learn something every day. I guess I'll have to chuck up more $$$ for a new y-pipe, cats, and welding labor. Oh joy.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cats cost horsepower. nuff said. And I never smelled the exhaustin my car...try driving faster it will air out the smell, and if you keep going fast then it wont come back. lol.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

OK. Wow, I never knew that cats somehow keep the exhaust-like smell from creeping up into the chassis and air vents. Learn something every day. I guess I'll have to chuck up more $$$ for a new y-pipe, cats, and welding labor. Oh joy.
Keep in mind..on a stock set up..your cats are much closer to the engine...so they have done their cleaning thing before the exhaust goes past the passenger compartment. On my GTO...I had a definate exhaust smell in the car with off road mids. As soon as I put catted mid pipes on it went away.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
Cats cost horsepower. nuff said. And I never smelled the exhaustin my car...try driving faster it will air out the smell, and if you keep going fast then it wont come back. lol.
If you only knew how disgusting it is to eat a cheeseburger, but taste exhaust.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

If you only knew how disgusting it is to eat a cheeseburger, but taste exhaust.
mmm exhaustburgers.... lol. i still think its a leak.. ive got pacesetters (race) no egr/air Offroad y and i dont smell anything inside my car or really outside for that matter.. and i havent got it tuned yet sot that should help a bit. id double check all connections for leaks before i throw more money into it.. have a buddy rev it up while you check for exhaust coming out anywhere its not supposed to.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

You definitely have an exhaust leak. I would try to find and fix the leak before spending money on cats. Adding cats is just going to give your exhaust more places to leak. Sometimes you can see the leaks because they will leave a little soot on the pipe where they come out. A LOT of headers leak where the collectors are welded on.

-Geoff
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave the cats off, mine is catless 3 dual with X and dumped at rear, I smell gas too it is not a big deal to me. Sometimes you have to sacrifice for performance.
The following users liked this post:
MexHTX (03-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Inside of car smells like exhaust.