Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PCV fix?

Has anyone tried running a race style PCV setup? What I mean is taking an AN line from each valve cover and running to the exhaust collector on the corresponding cylinder bank? This would provide a vacuum due to the venturi effect of the exhaust, thus providing vacuum without gumming up the intake?

Comments?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

IMO I dont think it would cause a vacuum effect. I think the exhaust would put your pcv under pressure.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
IMO I dont think it would cause a vacuum effect. I think the exhaust would put your pcv under pressure.

These only work at WOT.....you need to have metered vacum at idle & low rpm & no unfiltered air entering.

The best mod we have used to date is to pull from the rear of the drivers side valve cover, plug all other valve cover vents, pull through a good BAFFELED catch can (the larger the more effective) and modify the oil fill cap to accept a small K&N style filter. No issues on any size motor we build & no engines getting slowly destroyed by unfiltered venting like some we've seen.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds interesting, got any pics?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
These only work at WOT.....you need to have metered vacum at idle & low rpm & no unfiltered air entering.

The best mod we have used to date is to pull from the rear of the drivers side valve cover, plug all other valve cover vents, pull through a good BAFFELED catch can (the larger the more effective) and modify the oil fill cap to accept a small K&N style filter. No issues on any size motor we build & no engines getting slowly destroyed by unfiltered venting like some we've seen.
Why not just run breathers? I was running 2 breathers with a catch can and I was still getting oil in the intake. I capped everything off so now I'm just running 2 breathers. The catch can had mesh in it to condense the oil but that wasn't good enough.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm was actually planning on just running breathers, but I don't like the idea of oil covering my hoodliner. The exhaust routing was just an idea that I was looking for feedback on.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NassyVette
I'm was actually planning on just running breathers, but I don't like the idea of oil covering my hoodliner. The exhaust routing was just an idea that I was looking for feedback on.
You MUST pull vacum...and it must be metered by a PCV valve or a Z06 style orfice to work properly and you can't just use any catch can, it MUST be a properly baffeled to seperate & condense the vapors you are trying to remove. Our whole kit is $99 & unless you have excessive blow-by, you will not have oil getting back into the intake & you will have very little around the breather. If you have a breather in BOTH valve covers it won't work properly & the pulse will through oil into the engine compartment. It is VERY important the system be designed properly or you can have all sorts of issues. We have seen cars in here with all fresh air sources blocked & pulling vacum so seals pulled in & we have seen un-filtered air intakes drawing in air near the ground sucking up dust/dirt/water, etc.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
You MUST pull vacum...and it must be metered by a PCV valve or a Z06 style orfice to work properly and you can't just use any catch can, it MUST be a properly baffeled to seperate & condense the vapors you are trying to remove. Our whole kit is $99 & unless you have excessive blow-by, you will not have oil getting back into the intake & you will have very little around the breather. If you have a breather in BOTH valve covers it won't work properly & the pulse will through oil into the engine compartment. It is VERY important the system be designed properly or you can have all sorts of issues. We have seen cars in here with all fresh air sources blocked & pulling vacum so seals pulled in & we have seen un-filtered air intakes drawing in air near the ground sucking up dust/dirt/water, etc.
I'm not sure if lsx pcv systems work the same as ltx's but on ltx's the pcv system doesn't put the crankcase under any kind of vacuum. I've probably put 1k miles on my dual breather setup with everything capped off with no signs of oil or anything spewing from the breathers.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'm not sure if lsx pcv systems work the same as ltx's but on ltx's the pcv system doesn't put the crankcase under any kind of vacuum. I've probably put 1k miles on my dual breather setup with everything capped off with no signs of oil or anything spewing from the breathers.
You are not seeing any since I suspect you have very little blow-by & ring wear.

All engines (street) need to pull vacum at idle & low RPM to evac the moisture/fuel/contaminates from the crank case. Yours is running fine no doubt, but if you pull a valve cover I would guess you will see quite a bit of condensation on them....this drips down every time your motor cools & contaminates the oil as well as causes rust to start on your rockers, etc.

Also, there is always a bit of unburnt fuel that contaminates the oil...now this all starts to flash off when you get the oil temp above 200....but w/out an evac source (your intake vacum on a street car, evac tubes w/check valves on race gas fueled track cars, and belt driven vacum pump systems on Alky fueled track cars) you will never evac these contaminates properly & longevity of the motor will suffer.

Let me know if you want our background & qualifications to show you the extent of our knowledge here & I will PM you.

Good Luck,

Tracy

Last edited by TLewis4095; 01-29-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling