Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to strip paint on uncoated headers?

Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to strip paint on uncoated headers?

There was a post in the tool section but I figure I can get more of a response over here. I'm buying a set of uncoated headers and they obviously come shipped with a cheap coat of paint on them. Aside from sanding them all weekend, what can I use in terms of a chemical stripper to get rid of the paint so I can coat them with something a bit more durable?
Thanks
Old 07-10-2003, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: How to strip paint on uncoated headers?

Aircraft paint remover should take off the old paint. But I have no idea how safe it is to use on headers. Can you get them sandblasted?

I will give you a bit of advice, after sanding my hookers, and then shooting them with a few coats of high temperature ceramic paint, I came to one conclusion......I wish I would of just spent the $250 for professional coating. Despite great care to sand, then paint, then bake the headers they promptly looked like *** within a month. So now I am gonna have to take them back off, resand them and have them done by sombody that knows what they are doing.
So unless you have ALL of the proper tools, coating and oven, I highly suggest you consider getting headers already coated by the factory.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I've had 2 different sets of headers and both have rusted. Both were coated, so I'm not impressed with ceramic coating. I figure I'll try it this way one time and see how it goes. I've seen some good results with the Eastwood High Temp coating. So if I spend $40 on supplies and they rust anyway (not that it hasn't happened already at a cost of $200 each time for ceramic) then I'm still ahead of the game.
I do appreciate the input and thanks for the answer to my question!
one other question, how hot do our headers get during operation? Is it over 1000 degrees?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Launching!

i used a paint stripper wheel on my die grinder air tool--you can pick them up at AutoZone for cheap. then i used some paint thinner and steel wool for the areas i couldn't reach with the grinder. after that i used Eastwood's header coating and it turned out real nice! i can't really tell you how it holds up though since i sold the car (88 GTA).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to strip paint on uncoated headers?