Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water temp or oil temp gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water temp or oil temp gauge?

I'm about to get a full pillar dual gauge pod for my car and and I've already decided I need a trans temp gauge for my auto. I just need opinions on what the other gauge should be. Which would be more beneficial, water or oil temperature and why? Which out of the two is easier to install? I know I could get the triple gauge pod and have all three, but I like the look of only two gauges.Thanks for any help. Later
Old 07-10-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: water temp or oil temp gauge?

They are both about the same, as far as ease of install. But, there is some fabrication for an oil temp guage. You will need to drill & tap the oil diverter plate (piece above filter) to install the sender. Not hard though.

I would say, since you have a '98 and they are suppose to have an actual working temp guage, that you should go with the oil temp guage. I have water, oil, and trans temp guages. The water and oil temps usually differ by about 20-30 degrees under normal driving. Water temp being the lesser of the two, of course.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

go DIGITAL! its much easier to read/monitor

1) water temp
2) oil temp

I have both and they don't follow eachother exactly.....if you think about it, its pretty easy to understand why.....

the water circulates around the block much more so more heat is trasfered to is (quicker) and as such it reacts much quicker to driving condiditons (puch it, temp starts to clime right away)

5 quarts (8 in my case with the oil cooler) takes a long time to go around and there is still a lot sitting in the pan....its slow to increase in temp (punch it....) but once its hot...it stays hot for a while.....
Old 07-11-2003, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think oil temp is a more realistic indicator of how hot the engine is. Since oil directly contacts all the important parts, such as the valve springs, cam, crank, connecting rods, etc, it will give you a very accurate reading of how how the engine is.

Not only that, oil won't react to temperature changes as quickly as water will, so even though your coolant might be heating up, the overall oil temp might be not that hot yet, so you wont really know when the engine is fully warmed up until the oil is.

Just my .02 since you asked!